Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3C , transmission oil not scavenging to back.

D3 operator ยท 2013-09-19 07:43

Hi I have trouble with the transmission oil of my D3C not scavenging back to the sump. This also seems to have an effect on the clutch kicking in after about 10 minutes of operating the machine. I would check the oil level and find it to be extremely low and as 'n pour in additional oil while the dozer is idling, it will come to a stage were the oil will push out at the gear lever, but the dip stick will indicate that the oil levels are still too low. When I would switch off the engine and try and start it again there would suck great pressure in die compartment where the flywheel is that the starter is unable to turn it. I have cleaned al screens and replaced the filter. I've also got the pump tested and it works fine. I've testes the oil pressure and it is on 300 psi which is 100% according to spec. What I have noticed is that the pressure would remain for a while even after the dozer is switched off. Any tips on what could be the issue?

Replies3
  1. #1Old Magnet2013-09-19 11:49

    What your describing sounds typical of excess torque converter leakage to where the scavenge pump can't keep up.

  2. #2pp13bnos2013-09-19 19:23

    good to know magnet. How many hours on your d3 operater? my series 2 has about 5100 hrs on it, and besides a starter battery and alternator has been pretty much trouble free. kinda wondering when I'm going to have to start putting money into it..

  3. #3D3 operator2013-09-23 05:38

    Thanks Old Magent pp13bnos, I bought the machine second hand and the SMR was broken when I bought it so I won't be able to give you an accurate hour reading. Sorry.