Hey guys, first post here although I have been lurking for quite some time and enjoy the vast knowledge on the board. I am looking a purchasing an 09 D3k xl for the larger topsoil and grading jobs where it seems to be to much for my track skid steer. The dozer currently has under 1000 hours and I feel it’s priced right. I’m just curious if anyone has any experience or input on these machines. Anything to look out for, or to shy away from on this particular model. The current owner tells me the machine is loaded with cab heat/AC, air ride seat, heated hand grips etc. I plan to go check it out sometime this week when I have a spare couple of hours. I wouldn’t be using it everyday but as a bonus I will be able to pick up municipal work grading ditches when they widen the roads, and also blading out the spoils when cleaning out the municipal drainage ditches. Thank you again in advance and I appreciate any input.
Standard undercarriage or System 1 is a big deal to some people. Under 1,000 hours and ten years old rings a few alarm bells for me but it isn't impossible. Lots of dozers do a lot of sitting now days. The condition of the undercarriage will give you some clues as to how accurate the hours are. You normally see an undercarriage worn out at between 3,000 and 3,500 hours. Pull the side covers off the engine and check radiator and heater hose ends with a bright flash light. Look for seeps and small splits on the ends of the hoses. Does it have a ripper or winch on the back. The 3 is a little short and likes to buck a bit and that type of extra weight seems to help keep the blade from turning into a burrowing animal so quickly.
I will ask the owner tomorrow what track system is currently on it. A friend of mine owns the machine. He bought it two years ago off a large farmer who only put 500 hours on it. My friend claims he does not use it enough to justify keeping it. I will be going over it very carefully and will look at the spots you had mentioned. I know machines can be repainted but the undercarriage still has about 95% of its paint. All of the tin looks mint in the pictures with no scrapes dents or peeled decals. Cab also looks to be incredibly clean. There is only a hitch on the rear of the machine, no rippers or winch. You mentioned a machine this size will buck and burrow, one of its first jobs will be to strip topsoil for a 90x240 riding arena. Once the arena is built they want “b”gravel laid and then topped with 4.5” of screenings lasered and compacted and then finished off with 2” of brick sand. With this dozer being so short will I be pulling my hair out trying to get everything so level? I do not have much experience on a dozer but am rather proficient running a tracked skid steer and holding grade.
you should be fine, post the pictures, I have a d5h xl and I found if I angle the blade some it will cut smoother than straight
Pretty trouble free overall. The position sensors in the control handles were problematic at first. If it never had the updated ones put in under warranty you'll probably be buying one or both. $5-600ea iirc. Change the fuel filters often to help prevent injector wear and the inevitable hot no start, high leakoff issues. Again not a giant issue and probably around $2000 parts and labor. That one probably has system one. You'll have to keep an eye out for dry links.
Thanks everyone for the replies. After speaking to some local guys I don’t think there is that much work around for a small trim dozer. I decided to upgrade my T190 and purchase a newer kubota svl75-2 and will rent a dozer when needed. The D3 was very clean and he ensured it was original hours even offereing to plug his CAT computer into it to verify.