Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4 right track locked

x110x ยท 2014-07-15 16:48

Im workin on a 1963 cat D4. the right track wont move and the brake pedal whips back and forth. I pulled apart the brake band everythin looked good put it back together and still has the same issue. any tips will be helpful

Replies17
  1. #1Scrub Puller2014-07-15 18:54

    Yair . . . x110x . As I see it there must be some movement of the brake drum to move the pedal, does the engine bog down? Are there any noises? It seems the clutch within the drum is either slipping (or being held disengaged), the bolts are sheared on the final drive pinion flange or the pinion shaft is broken . . . any or all could have been caused or contributed to by a failed final drive. Then again it could be some thing as simple as stick jammed in a linkage and holding the clutch slightly disengaged, do the steering clutches feel normal/both the same? Cheers.

  2. #2x110x2014-07-15 19:17

    it doesnt bog or make any wierd noises. also the steering clutches feel normal.

  3. #3DPete2014-07-15 19:26

    Drain the final and see if you get anything out of the ordinary

  4. #4Mike L2014-07-15 20:54

    that's what i'd do

  5. #5tctractors2014-07-16 15:49

    Your top pinion is mullered, if you get the peddle dance you need to pop down the final drive. tctractors

  6. #6x110x2014-07-16 17:34

    thx ill give it a go

  7. #7DPete2014-07-16 19:03

    Is that a 40A serial # if yes I have its brother, mine is a 61' 40A 3638 I think

  8. #8x110x2014-07-16 19:52

    i believe its a 63 40c. have u had a similar issue?

  9. #9DPete2014-07-16 21:06

    No, just curious, there aren't that many around. It is a D4C the serial # should be on the upper left back of the case also one on the engine

  10. #10x110x2014-07-17 00:20

    I wont see it till Sunday. Would u say its worth fixin? I m not a mechanic (I'm currently goin to diesel school). The cat dealer wants 5 days for them to find out whats wrong.

  11. #11michaelg2014-07-18 01:27

    Hey Dear.. want to suggest you, if you wont see it till Sunday. just go to your nearest best machinery mechanic shop. they could be find out problem, if not more critical.

  12. #12x110x2014-07-18 02:13

    I'm having trouble finding one. the cat mechanic came out and spent 7 hrs at $110 an hour and said he didn't know what the problem was

  13. #13tctractors2014-07-18 02:25

    For that coinage in the U.K. I would have stripped and re-built the f/drive, it would take me all of 10 mins' to work out what is knackered in the back end, it would only take 2-3 hours to have the outer case off the tractor, go and get your money back off D*** Turpin (your Mechanic) tctractors p.s. D*** Turpin was a jockey with a gun, who liked to make a living without to much work, "Stand and Deliver" was one of his well used shouts as he pointed his pistol?? at least he had a gun?

  14. #14x110x2014-07-18 12:18

    Haha my boss is a gun slingin Texan. he refused to pay. Thanks man for all the help !

  15. #15lantraxco2014-07-18 14:11

    Good man. Hell if I'd never seen one before it wouldn't take an hour to diagnose the problem. He probably spent most of that time looking for the port to plug his computer in to.

  16. #16Deeretracks2014-07-18 14:22

    7hrs and the final isn't even apart? What the hell did he do all day, jerk his gherkin?

  17. #17x110x2014-07-18 14:55

    Thats the thing he came out told us it wasn't a d4 cause he couldn't find it in his computer. The only thing he did was loosen the brake band then a few hrs later he said Idk whats wrong and tried to charge. So my boss is letting me take a shot at it