I'm going to look at a cat D4G xl. 2002 model (CFN). hour meter says 1880 which I doubt is accurate. Does anyone have the undercarriage dimensions i can use to measure the wear against? I've ordered a operation/maintenance manual but not sure if it will have that information. Are these dozers full hydrostatic transmission? Anything I should be on the lookout for? I spoke to the guy n the phone but he doesn't know much about the history of the dozer and he has had it for a year clearing brush on his small farm.
Since no one appears to have this information. What manual can I find it in?
There isn't a manual available to customers that gives the measurements you're looking for because it takes a fair bit of training, a certain skill level, and experience to be able to determine undercarriage wear. Why not take some photos of the sprockets, rails, track frame rollers, idlers, carrier rollers, track shoes, etc, etc, when you go to look at it and post them here..? Plenty of us on here can pretty much tell you the undercarriage condition simply by looking at a few photos. The D4G is full hydrostatic drive. As regards what to be on the lookout for I wouldn't really know except to look for the obvious stuff. Is the machine clean, does it have oil leaks from anywhere, does it start immediately on the key from cold, no bangs or rattles, etc..? Does it look as though it's been given TLC or has it been driven like it was stolen and put away wet..?
I know how to measure the wear and have the tools to do it. I just don't have the measurements to measure against.
The best I can suggest is to post the measurements here and someone will come back with the wear percentages for the various components.
Have you tried to ask your local CAT dealer? I would ask to speak with the technician from the local dealer that performs these undercarriage tests. I have a CAT 955L and had issues with the track adjusters. Before I did anything, I called CAT and they sent a tech that has all the tools and a laptop to do the analysis on the undercarriage. Once he was done, I asked to million dollar question..How much? He said it was free and that its totally normal for Cat to give a free analysis. My point being I would call and ask to speak to the tech and he might possibly give you the specs you want. I would explain exactly what your doing and even if you still buy the dozer they will give you the free analysis which enables you to know exactly what you got. I agree with Nige, all these fellas on here can spot a bad roller and chains a mile away. Post some pix and im sure the advice will pour in. My two cents.