Hello all, Looking for some opinions on aftermarket cabs. I live in Texas where it gets all kinds of hot during the current months. I run a dozer on the side of my business. We are in the CNC machining business. I have got a aftermarket cab quoted for like $4700+another $3000 for A/C. I am not interested in paying 33% of the bulldozer cost for a cab. My current option is to get one of our water jet customers to cut plate in the design I want and weld on to bulldozer. Of course I would buy lexan or tempered glass for windows. I am thinking of either putting foam board on the inside for insulation, or sometime of hangable insulative material. With the A/C I see two options. Buying a self contained unit, or going with traditional A/C and Heat. The problem I have with the self contained is most of them I have seen is roof mount which would be a height problem. What is the cons and pros of the A/C and doing this is general. I'm not really worried about the cab manufacturing as much because I can get my hands on any materials I need. Also, does anyone know the cost of one of the cabs from a scraping yard? I have never been able to locate one in a yard. Thanks in advance. Serial Prefix 6YL.
Nobody knows anything about this?
I would look into a Reddot A/C I think they make both roof top and the smaller ones that go behind the cab. I looked at a D4C with a cab back in March, the cab looked like an after thought to me so I don't think it would be very hard to make one. U could probably make the entire thing out of 1/2" Lexan and seal it with rubber gasket material have it tinted and be fine. I know my tractor is all glass and it will freeze you out.
My suggestion would be that you buy a dozer with cab and air. Do it yourself cab and air will cost you multiples.
Cat of , I am planning to do this to a 943 loader. This machine has a cab and duct system so I have that ahead for my install. I think you can find a cab for your machine and you will be surprised how easily it bolts on .Then adding the ac will be easier. DTAC and ARTIC WOLF are brand choices. Most of them use the same basic components but the cabinets are built by them. My repair guy told me the other day they put a factory ac on a 953C that had a heat only cab and it cost 11 grand. I'm looking at doing my set up for about 2 grand , with my specs to have a higher btu output than factory. It can be done.
Hey Dickjr, did you ever get your a/c put in your 943, I have a D4C that came with a factory sealed cab, only heated, Windows are out of it but that's no big deal, would like to know what unit you used, cost and were you got it, thaks.
I would drill and screw lexan panels rather than do than do the gaskets. Remember that plastic windows are ruined by scratches, fuels and lubricants so you may have to replace them later. I would go with 1/4" because of cost. Use a stick on weatherstrip and only fasten every 6" or so. If you work in brush country, roof AC will be hard to maintain. You'll have to build a heck of a cage for it.
Altering a ROPS cab in any way is an OSHA no no.
Check Machinery Trader for dismantled machine. I have seen on them there in the past. If you can get a cab assembly group number you can search the dismantled machines by part number. A few months ago I had a D4D non insulated cab gave to me. The fellow was shipping the his D4D to Australia and the machine would not fit in the sea container with the cab on it.