Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D4C Series III with Issues

BrandonTheBuilder · 2022-02-18 17:09

Hi Everyone! I'm happy to have found this wonderful forum. I'm a new owner and excited to learn all I can about what I believe to be a late 90's or early 2000 model Caterpillar D4C Series III. I'm located in the rural country side of Ghana-West Africa so I am looking to do as much online research and diagnostic myself so that I can help aid the local mechanics. Then machine was parked on a farm for at least three years before I purchased it. We were able to spark it right up and really only had to deal with old hydraulic hoses, the electrical charging system (which I still haven't fixed) and the blade control which is very finicky. The main issue I'm here for now is that white smoke is coming out of the top off the engine through a hose -- one symptom prior to this was the suggestion that the Priming Pump had a fault and diesel was getting into the oil. Thanks for any suggestion and/or leads. -Brandon

Replies14
  1. #1Dave Neubert2022-02-18 22:12

    That hose is the crankcase breather the smoke you see is blow by

  2. #2nicky 68a2022-02-19 02:32

    Your engine may be breathing abit heavy? Might benefit from a service and new air filters.It’s also worth replacing or cleaning the engine breather gauze best you can. It’s worth a try as the alternative is some form of engine rebuild

  3. #3Nige2022-02-19 09:51

    The Serial Number in the photo above is the engine. The machine S/N is 6BS00315. Agreed. An engine oil change and new air filter elements should be the first step.

  4. #4BrandonTheBuilder2022-02-20 05:52

    Thank you for the suggestions and noting that its coming from the crankcase breather.

  5. #5BrandonTheBuilder2022-02-20 05:53

    Yes that is correct, can anyone tell me how I can look up the exact year from the Model Number?

  6. #6ahart2022-02-20 06:59

    The information you requested

  7. #7BrandonTheBuilder2022-02-20 07:38

    Thank you very much!

  8. #8Nige2022-02-20 10:14

    May I ask why you need the exact year.?

  9. #9BrandonTheBuilder2022-02-21 02:59

    Sure-- Just satisfying my curiosity. I'm looking to learn as much about my machine as possible.

  10. #10BrandonTheBuilder2022-02-27 05:45

    My Tractor is doing much better this week. I serviced the fuel injection pump and changed all the valves and nozzles. Changed the Priming Pump as apparently small amounts of diesel was mixing with the oil. I also got a new Alternator which has resolved my charging issues. Next I need to remove my radiator, have it opened, cleaned and leaks repaired. I also need to figure out how to service my blade control as it doesn't move freely when I'm controlling it.

  11. #11ahart2022-02-27 08:01

    I assume you’re saying your joystick is hard to move? Have you pulled the boot back to see what the condition of the plate and plunger pins are in? If machine was sitting for 3 years, a little spray lube might free up the plunger pins a bit.

  12. #12Nige2022-02-27 10:20

    Attached disassembly instructions just in case they are of any help. There are a bunch of needle roller bearings (10 actually - Ref #29) in that assembly. I'd bet that at least a few of them need lubricating.

  13. #13ahart2022-02-27 11:39

    For some reason I was looking at the pilot control joystick and assumed the implement valve was pilot control when in fact it is linkage control like you posted Nige, I was on the wrong control valve but the lubricating advice seems to still stand.

  14. #14BrandonTheBuilder2022-04-11 18:06

    Thank you for this-- the diagram is very helpful. I will remove cover and take a look. I'll lube and get some pictures and videos too.