Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4D Questions

bulletpruf · 2026-04-24 08:43

This D4D is for sale near me for $10k. It's in my price range, it's the right size, but I'm confused by the blade hydraulics with the smaller cylinders and hoses going over the tracks. Any thoughts on this machine?

Replies18
  1. #1bulletpruf2026-04-24 09:09

    Ok, looks like it's a toolbar dozer. Wasn't familiar with this configuration.

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2026-04-24 09:42

    That's a very old d4 draw bar looks about right for that age It also look like it had a pto at some point

  3. #3Old Magnet2026-04-24 10:55

    D4C, Direct electric start, D330A engine.

  4. #4John C.2026-04-24 19:52

    Looks like a farm machine. I'd guess it has a manual transmission with a master clutch.

  5. #5Tones2026-04-24 20:33

    Reckon you're correct John, the blade doesn't look like anything I remember on the C model.

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2026-04-24 20:39

    I would say that it is not a cat blade it was a add on back then Look at the added plates on the roller frames and the trunnions defiantly don't look cat

  7. #7bam19682026-04-24 21:07

    A neighbor of mine has a D4D with the same or at least similar blade setup. It has been a few years sense I have seen it. It is a direct drive machine as well. I feel like the hoses for the lift cylinders were routed a different way than the OP pics. A previous owner added a tilt cylinder and a cobbled up lever to run it that was awkward to say the least!!

  8. #8Shimmy12026-04-24 22:07

    I think that crawler should stay right where it's at. That is a basket case if I've ever seen one.

  9. #9bccat2026-04-25 00:03

    That is a Cat blade, it’s a toolbar dozer, you can turn the push arms around for use it as a ag implement tools,

  10. #10Old Magnet2026-04-25 00:41
  11. #11Tones2026-04-25 01:46

    Well bugger me, never knew that was a thing.

  12. #12epirbalex2026-04-25 03:03

    Serious collectors tractor , cheap at 10,000

  13. #13Welder Dave2026-04-25 03:20

    There were some pics. of similar blades and hose routing on here in the past. Apparently that's how the Ag machines were done. Would need to know more to determine if it's worth pursuing. It looks better than other machines you've considered and is a more reasonable size but could still be a pile of scrap.

  14. #14pittsburgh cat man2026-04-25 09:22

    Well I'll be in 45 years I can't say I ever saw a machine with a Tool bar on it. Come to think of it the only Agg cat I ever saw was in Peoria in about 1980 not a lot of call for them in Pa.

  15. #15bccat2026-04-25 12:37

    The tool bar option could be had on D2,D4,& D6‘s, not sure on 7’s

  16. #16Mquinista2026-04-25 12:39

    Thats an AG machine, wich at some point , or when it was sold was fitted with pusher fence. If u note there´s also the absense of lower shielding. It was not meant to dig and push, but that does not mean is a bad outfit for homesteaders as it looks quite good of tracks.

  17. #17bulletpruf2026-04-25 14:52

    Work has been busy lately, so now I'm able to afford something that might actually run and operate...

  18. #18John C.2026-04-25 21:32

    I haven't seen the tool bars but did see plenty of D4's used in the wheat fields of Eastern Washington. Traveling on the freeway going east you would see a dust cloud on the horizon. When you got to the base of the dust cloud you would see a tiny looking D4 pulling a wide rack of disks. You still see the machines parked in a draw or out on the corner of a wheat field.