hello today I was trying to adjust the brakes because the machine wasn’t turning right since a couple months The lever fork that goes perpendicular to the lever broke at the fork one of the two points snapped it was starting to wobble a lot there I thought it was nothing but maybe that’s the cause why the lever was so stiff because it wasn’t transmitting the force properly when pulled On the other hand I removed the bottom plate from behind the dozer to see how much oil was there because when I took off the plates to take a look at the brake adjustment screws I realized there was some oil down there turns out there was like 5 gallons or more or what appears to be gear oil from the 60s mixed with engine oil, I am suspecting there is some sort of oil bath gear drive inside the tracks that has to have a lot of oil to lubricate all the metal when the machine moves so I would like to know if this amount of oil is normal and if I could just refill with sae 50 or is it better to use gear oil and which one And finally a video of the dozer grubbing a mesquite in silt/sand loam very soft the mesquite uproots very easily
You have pulled off the cover where the winch if one was fitted, it's drive shaft would go into. That compartment is the bevel gear compartment and is full of oil, as checked by the bevel gear dipstick under the seat. The clutches and brakes, unless you have a very late D4D should be dry, no oil in them. Invariably some oil leaks into them and there are plugs on the bottom to drain out any oil that accumulates in there. You can download a maintenance manual here -->> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/71e7...f?rlkey=rdxq0tg6waftdi3ma215vu8jm&st=fmuw7wnh
I am not sure what broke from the picture. You should look for a parts book on eBay. Be sure to get one for your serial number. On my 7U brakes are adjusted from a 2 bolt plate in the foot pans. You are doing a good job on the brush.
Transmission takes 90w gear oil. My 7U takes 5 gallons.