Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT d4d Steering linkage

ETXD4D ยท 2024-02-18 11:56

I have recently purchased a CAT D4D that was sitting for a couple of years. It is in good shape and has very low hours on it. It was originally a Texas Forestry machine. When I got it the steering linkage was frozen from sitting. I greased the fittings and within about 30 minutes had the linkage moving and the tractor able to steer. The issue I'm having is that the steering sometimes is very responsive and very sharp, and other times slow. Does anyone have any information and what could be causing this and what the remedy would be?

Replies6
  1. #1ETXD4D2024-02-20 21:53

    So after working on it some more it appears to be a brake issue and not a steering issue. The right brake pedal wash pushed and the park brake set. I was able to get the right pedal decompressed. The steering is much better now but only really responsive with a load on the tractor. The left brake pedal moves easily but will not come back up on its own if pushed. The right pedal is still very tight and hard to push down or get back out. I think with some PB blaster I can get the pedal to move freely again. There looks to be an adjustment on the braking linkage. Will this tighten up the brakes and make them more responsive? The machine is an 83J serial number.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2024-02-21 08:08

    there should be a 3 bolt triangle plate at the rear of the machine under the fuel tank one on each side there is a adjuster under there should take a 9/16 socket

  3. #3OzDozer2024-02-21 08:09

    Yes, there's a brake adjuster bolt under the small triangular cover on top of the steering clutch case under the fuel tank (1 each side). Take off the cover, fit the correct socket to the adjuster, tighten the adjuster up tight, then back it off 1-1/2 turns for correct lining to drum clearance. Keep pouring the PB Blaster into those brake shaft linkage bearings, they get dust and moisture in them and corrode and bind up.

  4. #4ETXD4D2024-02-21 19:41

    Thank you. I will try the adjustments on Friday when I'm back out with the machine.

  5. #5.RC.2024-02-22 15:50

    Here is a service manual and a maintenance manual for the D4D. IA_Caterpillar_D4_Track_Type_Tractor_SEBU5335_01_.pdf Shared with Dropbox www.dropbox.com IA_Caterpillar_Disassembly_Assembly_D4D_Tractor_REG00892_01_.pdf Shared with Dropbox www.dropbox.com There should be grease nipples on top of the steering clutch case under the seat that greases various bits to do with the steering/braking.

  6. #6ETXD4D2024-02-22 21:11

    Thank you RC for those. There are grease fittings under the seat. I greased all of them and that is how I was able to get the steering linkage free. The left brake pedal moves freely but is way out of adjustment according to the manual you sent me. The right pedal appears to stick at the pivot point closest to the pedal. There is no grease fitting on that part. It was parked with the brake lock on for at least 2 years so I'm pretty sure that why it sticks there.