Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D333 turbo retrofit?

Homer Dokes ยท 2024-02-17 23:22

Ok... here I am thinkin to much again. So my '60 D6B (44A) has what I understand to be the D333(a) engine which is the non-turbo version. Currently it runs great and I haven't really had any issues in pushing trees over and stacking up brush thus far. I understand however that the D333(b) version is the turbo version of the engine and I can't help but consider the potential advantages of attempting (some time down the road) a turbo retrofit to improve fuel efficiency and provide a bit of power increase to the 'ol girl. My question to everyone is... am I off my rocker? And if not.... what are the criticals I need to consider in such an adventure?

Replies3
  1. #1skyking12024-02-17 23:37

    It's 64 years old, and you'd be opening a can of worms by trying to get more power out of it. It's not just the engine to consider, it's everything behind it too.

  2. #2OzDozer2024-02-18 01:22

    Yes, you're off your rocker. Stick with the 93HP you've got, it's designed for long-term reliability. Adding a turbo will only give you drivetrain grief sometime down the track. It's got dry steering clutches and brakes, they don't like HP increases, you'll smoke them up.

  3. #3Homer Dokes2024-02-18 09:49

    Nuff said! Thanks guys