Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4D transmission issues

bluetick · 2020-02-06 08:28

It’s been a while since have posted anything . So here’s the issue. Cat d4d (7R 0735), went to operate machine one cold morning (28 degrees) machine barely moved in first gear (power shift trans) after 15 minutes warm up machine seemed to operate OK, did not run for extended period. Went back week later warmer day (45 degrees). Barely moved ,did not wait for warm up because I want to pull the radiator because of overheating issues. My question is where exactly is the magnetic screen. Trans has worked flawlessly up till now only issue, fluid would drop on dip stick after operating for a period of time. Any advice would be appreciated, as I have found this an invaluable resource. Thanks to all contributors, especially NIGE .

Replies30
  1. #1Bluox2020-02-06 12:08

    That machine don't have a mag screen. Pull transmission filter it's under floor boards. If the oil is bad might as well change it 10 gallons and if you do you can clean screen in the bottom of transmission. Bob

  2. #2Dave Neubert2020-02-06 13:00

    The screen is in the bottom of trans I think there is 6 bolts holding it

  3. #3bluetick2020-02-06 18:09

    Thanks for replying. I will try to change filter and clean screen tomorrow weather permitting.

  4. #4bluetick2020-02-06 18:19

    There is a cylindrical bulge on the right front of transmission, would this contain the screen.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2020-02-06 19:42

    Yes

  6. #6Dave Neubert2020-02-06 19:44
  7. #7Dave Neubert2020-02-06 19:45

    13,14,15

  8. #8bluetick2020-02-07 08:14

    Thanks Dave

  9. #9bluetick2020-02-10 20:12

    Drained transmission fluid today,screen checked out clean. Removed transmission filter, had to order one none in stock. Hoping new filter solves the problem.

  10. #10Dave Neubert2020-02-10 21:39

    Was the screen plugged

  11. #11bluetick2020-02-11 07:39

    No it was not Dave, very little trash on screen almost none. Small amount on magnetic drain plug. Pull the filter, could not tell if it was clogged. Filled filter with diesel fuel and plugged bottom hole, would not readily flow.

  12. #12Dave Neubert2020-02-11 07:50

    The main filter has a bipass on it so the main filter is not the culprit

  13. #13Nige2020-02-11 09:25

    Try cutting a section out of the filter and squeeze it in a vice to remove the oil. Then look in the bottom of the pleats for particles. Plenty of "how to" videos on YouTube. Your filter will not be a spin-on like the one in the video but the idea is the same.

  14. #14bluetick2020-02-11 15:19

    Currently out of place, will be tomorrow before l get back to it. Dave your post about the filter by pass has dashed my hope for an easy fix. Nige I will check filter as you suggested.

  15. #15Dave Neubert2020-02-11 17:19

    transmission pump is normally the culprit

  16. #16bluetick2020-02-11 18:11

    What does this entail as far as removal and repair.

  17. #17Dave Neubert2020-02-11 19:51

    I would just replace it you can get a Cat yellow mark or a after market one should be mounted to the flywheel housing on the top . You should check your main pressure first off off the filter housing 250-350 psi don't know exact but you can look it up. $744.00 Cat

  18. #18bluetick2020-02-11 20:41

    Thanks Dave,would I have to drop the new trans fluid and replace the new filter. Currently trans is empty and filter is out.

  19. #19Dave Neubert2020-02-11 21:46

    No it is on top

  20. #20bluetick2020-02-12 06:42

    What. Is involved in changing out the Pump

  21. #21Dave Neubert2020-02-12 08:44

    It has been years since I worked on one It looks like it is mounted on the bottom of converter I can't get a good reference in the parts book.Ask Nidge if he can send you info on removing pump it just unbolts and might have to pull drive gear off. I would still run a pressure test though

  22. #22Bluox2020-02-12 12:08

    The transmission pump is mounted in the round housing next to the filter on top of the transmission. Hook a gauge up to the filter and run the machine. Bob

  23. #23bluetick2020-02-12 19:51

    I was able to put a new filter and fluid in today. Transmission seems to be working properly. I was not able to run for an extended period of time, due to other obligations. Thanks to all who replied to my post.

  24. #24Nige2020-02-13 03:58

    Just out of interest what fluid did you put into it..?

  25. #25bluetick2020-02-13 06:41

    TO4 SAE 30 , container specified cat drive train. And seem to take a lot more to refill it than drained out. Had a leak in the system somewhere , but was not evident when I removed the belly. Two lines going to a cooling system from transmission had rubber hose connections that the clamps were loose , tightened . Hope that helps. Have not opened filter yet.

  26. #26bluetick2020-02-14 18:33

    Ran the old Cat , no issues except tree broke exhaust muffler adapter (the part between muffler and manifold) . Anyone know the part #.

  27. #27Dave Neubert2020-02-15 07:35

    2P8938 Just noticed you are from NC where at?

  28. #28bluetick2020-02-15 08:26

    Albertson , small community 70 miles North of Wilmington.

  29. #29bluetick2020-02-15 09:20

    Thanks Dave for the part #, I search for that part without the # for an hour , no luck till you have gave me the number. Thanks for help.

  30. #30Dave Neubert2020-02-15 13:30

    Glad your dozer is working fine