Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4G problem

catd69u ยท 2014-03-02 11:40

Howdy, I hope somebody on here can help me. I have a D4G, and I keep losing coolant but can't find any visible leaks. I replaced the radiator cap last fall, hoping that might be the problem, but that didn't change anything. Seems like I have to add 1 to 2 gallons to the radiator about every 2 weeks if I'm running it every day. It seems to run ok, and I haven't noticed any steam at the exhaust pipe. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I was also wondering if somebody could help me with the head tightening sequence, and how much to torque the bolts, as I don't have a manual. Barry Franklin

Replies18
  1. #1kshansen2014-03-02 12:01

    I think you have to post a couple more messages before you can send a private message, do that and send me a PM with your eamil and I can send a PDF pf the "Install Head info. Also include you complete s/n if possible to be sure I get the right one for your machine. I'm guessing you have a 3046 engine. Have you checked to see if there is any moisture on the oil filler cap or crankcase breather? Or the oil dipstick. Another idea would be to take an oil sample to see if coolant is getting in there. This would include any systems that might use water to cool the oil like Hydraulic or transmission. Not familiar with the D4 so not sure if any do used water to oil coolers.

  2. #2catd69u2014-03-02 12:05

    Thanks kshanson, how do I send a pm? Barry

  3. #3catd69u2014-03-02 12:07

    Thanks kshanson, how do I send a pm? I had the oil sampled a few months ago, and it came back clean. Barry

  4. #4Puffie402014-03-02 12:09

    How does the oil look? Does it have a recovery/expansion tank or does it go straight out? A gallon every two weeks doesn't sound too bad to me. For head-bolt patterns, you start at the center then alternate between left and right in a crossing pattern as you go out.

  5. #5Nige2014-03-02 12:15

    How many operating hours does the engine oil currently have and have you had an oil sample analyzed recently..? If you have please post the values for Sodium (Na) Potassium (K) and lead (Pb). Also advise if the sample tested positive (even if it said "trace") for water. I'm assuming it was negative for anti-freeze. If you don't have a recent sample result and the current engine oil has more than 100 operating hours on it I'd suggest you have another sample analyzed ASAP. Cylinder head bolt torque sequence is only worth anything if you plan to remove the head. there is no "retorque" figure for ahead that's already been torqued once.

  6. #6catd69u2014-03-02 12:19

    Machine is d4g cfn 800, it is a 3046 engine. I have checked for moisture in the areas mentioned. the oil looks ok as best I can tell. Barry

  7. #7catd69u2014-03-02 12:23

    Machine is getting close to another oil change. I change oil every 200 hours, I had the oil sampled by the local Cat dealer and they said everything was good, oil was sampled at last service. I may have it sampled again. Machine has around 4000 total hours. The reason I was wanting head specs is to pull the head......... Barry

  8. #8Bob/Ont2014-03-02 13:49

    Check your heater lines and the heater body it's self. May not be the engine leaking. Later Bob

  9. #9kshansen2014-03-02 14:20

    Just click on my screen name "kshansen" or who ever you want to send it to and it should show a drop down box with the option to send private message.

  10. #10kshansen2014-03-02 14:30

    Guess I missed what should have been one or two of the first questions. How long have you been around this machine? Also is this a new problem? How hard is this dozer worked? Couple hours a day or 12 hours a day? Still does not seem right to be using that much coolant. Unless you are filling the radiator tank right to the top when cold. If that is the case it might just be going out the overflow when it expands which would be more or less normal. Most of the Cats I work around have sight gauges for coolant level so you can see the level when warm. I would agree on doing a second sample.

  11. #11catd69u2014-03-02 14:38

    I hadn't thought of that. It does have a heater. I normally put around 300 to 400 hours a year on it. I've had and used this dozer about 5 years, and I've always had to add a little coolant every now and then, but it seemed to get some worse in the last year or so..............I'll check the heater out. Thanks... Barry

  12. #12Bob/Ont2014-03-02 16:12

    One time I gave up on looking for a coolant leak on a machine, thought there wasn't one. Then moved the machine and found a pool of antifreeze on the floor. It was the heater core leaking, far away from the engine. Later Bob

  13. #13d9gdon2014-03-02 16:41

    I think kshansen has it right. I had one and the operator would fill it to the top every day when cold and he'd have to top it off every morning. It was just being overfilled and pushed it out.

  14. #14catd69u2014-03-03 10:14

    If I run it a week or maybe a little more, the heat gauge starts to crawl up. It lets me know when it needs coolant. I agree that if you fill a cat to full, they will push some back out. But not to the point that it wants to heat up. Barry Franklin

  15. #15d9gdon2014-03-03 16:42

    Look for a cold water leak at any hose clamps on the cooling system(and heater) too, sometimes they'll drive you nuts trying to find them. BTW, mine was built 63 units from yours. Naturally aspirated where they were turbo'd later. You are due to break a track link in about 500 hrs if those are the ones it came with. I had two rentals that broke a track link with less hrs than that.

  16. #16catd69u2014-03-13 08:02

    Well, I finally found it. It seems that my head gasket is leaking at the very rear and running down the block to the bellhousing on both sides, then dripping to the belly pan, so I guess I'm going to have to pull the head. Is there anything out of the ordinary I should look for here? Why would this be happening at this amount of hours? Are these little engines prone to this kind of problem? And I want to thank everybody for all the responses, and all the help. Barry Franklin

  17. #17Nige2014-03-13 09:10

    Glad you found the problem even if it means you have to pull the head to fix it. What type of antifreeze/coolant are you using..? that could have a bearing on the issue.

  18. #18catd69u2014-03-13 11:30

    I don't know what it brand it had in it when I first got it, but all that I have added came from my local auto parts supply. It is supposed to be universal; supposed to mix ok with any color. It has the auto supplier's name on it, so I will have to find out who actually made it. I've used it in all my equipment with no other problems that I'm aware of. Barry