Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4H 3204 Head – Water Ferrule and seal

RodC · 2026-08-01 17:58

I'm about to replace the head gasket and I'm trying to get my parts ordered. The instructions list "Check the condition of the water ferrule and seal" I can't find the part number for either on the Cat site. TIA for any info.

Replies27
  1. #1Dave Neubert2026-08-01 18:30

    1w4724,7n4636,7n4637

  2. #2Cmark2026-08-01 18:37

    Se here HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3RodC2026-08-01 18:44

    Thanks, I saw that diagram, but had no clue it was in there. - LINES GP-WATER​

  4. #4RodC2026-08-01 18:45
  5. #5Tyler d4c2026-08-01 19:35

    Always thought that was a odd way of doing it

  6. #6RodC2026-08-04 14:38

    OK, follow up question or 2. I may have to start another thread. I see 2 different torque sequences for this head. It seem the older one is the classic tighten it down in increments and leave it. The newer one tightens it down to 150, loosens them, then torque in sequence / with increments. Is the one I assume is newer correct? If so, do you go 150 without increments? I have seen the loosen method before but IIRC there were still increments. TIA for any help.

  7. #7pittsburgh cat man2026-08-04 15:49

    I seem to remember if you buy a cat head gasket it comes with instructions

  8. #8Tyler d4c2026-08-04 17:08

    I have no idea where you get your parts but i highly recommend you get a genuine head gasket like pcm said when i did one a few years ago it came with a sheet

  9. #9RodC2026-08-04 21:23

    I bought the OEM from Cat, picked it up today at the dealer, there are no instructions.

  10. #10RodC2026-08-04 21:59

    This is the latest I have seen. Check out page 3 step b

  11. #11Simon C2026-08-04 22:17

    Totally agree as I have seen too many garbage aftermarket ones in the last few years, tell my customers where they are getting the parts, or there choice, but no mercy if I have to start fixing before it is even installed. Seen some the head gasket bolt holes were out 1/8 inch and die grinding to allow bolts through from KMP kits. Simon C

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2026-08-04 23:15

    I've been thinking about step b I believe that is because it tells you to use new bolts and they want them stretched before you do the torque sequence

  13. #13RodC2026-08-05 08:49

    I'm wondering if they are doing this because they are going from the old grade bolts to the new ones. I may skip this because I'm pretty sure this year engine has the new bolts.

  14. #14RodC2026-08-05 08:51

    Yup, I bought a Cat OEM, but some of the OEM stuff I have got lately don't seem to be the quality it used to be.

  15. #15pittsburgh cat man2026-08-05 09:51

    I was wondering if you punched your head gasket part number in sis if it would come up with any more information

  16. #16RodC2026-08-05 09:54

    I don't think I have access to SIS.

  17. #17Nige2026-08-05 10:27

    What's the Part Number of the head gasket Rod.?

  18. #18RodC2026-08-05 10:35

    7W-2059

  19. #19Nige2026-08-05 10:36

    In that case you need to refer to this.......

  20. #20RodC2026-08-05 10:56

    Perfect, that looks like the one above, but much easier to read. Thanks Nige!

  21. #21Nige2026-08-05 10:59

    That seems to be the most recent article regarding 3204 head gaskets that was published.

  22. #22Tyler d4c2026-08-05 12:27

    I was 4 when it was printed. Long time ago!

  23. #23Welder Dave2026-08-05 15:38

    Keep in mind the 150 is N.M and not lb./ft.. Lb./ft. is 110.

  24. #24Nige2026-08-05 15:48

    Around that time I was knee-deep in failing transmission controls/rear wheel bearings on 793Cs - amongst other things.

  25. #25pittsburgh cat man2026-08-05 21:06

    You are making me feel old I had 28 years as a dealer mechanic then

  26. #26Tyler d4c2026-08-05 21:38

    What year did you start at beckwith?

  27. #27pittsburgh cat man2026-08-05 21:48

    73