Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4H blade attachment model

tharden ยท 2018-09-28 14:06

I have a 1989 D4H that I need to replace some pins and bushings in the blade c frame at the tractor frame and the pin at the blade tower. I have called the cat dealer but they can not figure out which blade I have. The ser# is 8PB03466. I also have a parts list as well but can not figure out which blade it is exactly as well. it looks like it could be 6Y1970 or 6Y4897. just wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on what it could be.

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2018-09-28 14:20

    From a quick look the system gives every impression that the tractor was built without a blade because there is no Serial Number for either the blade or any of the implements such as a C-frame. Yet the tractor is listed as having a 3-valve implement hydraulic system but no winch is specified so you have to assume that's all for controlling the front end equipment. ***..? Where did you get the 6Yxxxx numbers from..? Because from what I can see the options for an 8PB-prefix tractor are 3G8929 if it's an angle blade or 8E2265 if it's a straight blade. How about posting a few photos of the C-frame & blade..?

  2. #2tharden2018-09-28 16:54
  3. #3tharden2018-09-28 16:56
  4. #4Nige2018-09-28 17:09

    By any chance is there a Part Number on the tower in the centre of the c-frame that supports the blade pivot..?

  5. #5tharden2018-09-28 17:10

    The 6yxxxx was what I thought could be the c frame for it. I'm looking at my parts list but i am having a hard time comprehending how the serial number matches the correct c-frame.

  6. #6tharden2018-09-28 17:15

    There is a IU3347X on the tower.

  7. #7Nige2018-09-28 17:58

    1U3347 is an older Part Number that is replaced by 6Y4395. It is used on all versions of the 6Y-4897 C-frame Group. The 6Y-1970 C-frame used the 1U-3347 tower on earlier versions up to August 1989 but an 8E-1033 tower on everything after that date. The problem is that your tractor was built in APRIL 1989, so it could have the earlier version of 6Y-1970. The good part is that the only difference as far as I can see between 6Y-1970 and 6Y-4897 built in April 1989 (and also the latest versions of both Part Numbers) is the actual C-frame itself. Everything else, including all the pins, are the same.

  8. #8tharden2018-09-28 18:39
  9. #9tharden2018-09-28 18:40

    Thank you sir. I do appreciate your help.

  10. #10Nige2018-09-29 03:49

    Right next to the Part Number is a raised panel with letters on it which is actually a Date Code. Can you make out what they are..? Because if so that will date the support.

  11. #11StanRUS2018-09-29 14:31

    Looks like 2 UWO

  12. #12tharden2018-09-29 16:14

    2 UMD

  13. #13Nige2018-09-30 03:50

    In that case it's not a date code, at least not one I'm familar with. Maybe a batch number or similar.