Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4H Brakes

RodC ยท 2022-11-11 11:34

I have searched quite a bit for issues related to this, but there don't seem to be a lot out there. We have a Cat D4H that the brakes seem to only engage at the end of the control. (Both the steering controls and the foot brake) They seem to be strong when the do engage. We have seen 1 instance of a delayed right turn when it was warmed up, but the machine normally turns OK, you just have to really pull back on the control. There doesn't seem to be much play in the controls, and it is the hand controls and the foot, so I don't think it is a linkage issue. Where should we start looking? TIA

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2022-11-11 12:35

    Until you've checked that linkages against specification I'm not sure you can say that. Post a S/N and I'll upload the procedure.

  2. #2RodC2022-11-11 13:25

    Thanks Nige, it is one of the early models SN - 8PB03241

  3. #3Nige2022-11-11 13:41

    Here you go.

  4. #4RodC2022-11-11 13:46

    Thanks Nige, I was looking at the sections in the manual. That PDF you attached slims it down a bit. I will give this a shot.

  5. #5heymccall2022-11-11 14:08

    Just got done with my 8PB. Needle bearing on brake pedal destroyed on inboard side. Machine wouldn't move unless full throttle. Apparently, by design, I can drive through first gear with that brake applied. Every single time I have a brake or travel issue on my d4h, it has been linkage issues. I think I'm at 9k hours, but, it's on meter number 6.

  6. #6RodC2022-11-11 14:14

    That's good to hear. We just went through the transmission linkage because one of them froze up and broke. I guess we should have went over the brakes. I'm not sure how many hours are on this one, I'm guessing 5K or so.

  7. #7Nige2022-11-11 15:08

    Sorry, I didn't realize you had a service manual. Most people don't.

  8. #8RodC2022-11-11 16:20

    No reason to apologize. Having a service manual is great for disassembly, and such, but there is no replacement for guys like you and this forum to get started in the right direction.