Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4H engine overhaul information

craigin ยท 2018-10-24 13:30

Hi Chaps I have been loitering around here for a while but have finally signed up. I have a client with a Cat D4H that has recently started giving engine problems, unfortunately other mechanics have already been involved and now its my time to pick up the pieces... I am still battling to find out exactly what happened but here goes: (This happened before I started working on the machine) The belly pans were off for cleaning out debris, the bulldozer was on wooden railway sleepers and someone drove it and it fell off damaging the engine oil sump. (I do not know if the engine was kept running or for how long after they found out about the damaged sump) The sump was sent for repair and fitted back in place with new engine oil. (Same oil filter ) Someone fitted a new turbo with just 3 of the 4 studs on the manifold (Threads were very questionable on the 3 studs, basically stripped) The engine then developed a nasty knock. My client was told it was the injectors. This is when I came onto the scene: I cracked each injector pipe off and although difficult to tell due to noise levels it did sound like this could be a possible issue and being the easiest place to start. The no 1 injector clamp and injector was loose. which seemed positive. I removed all 4 and sent them for testing. All were unserviceable. New ones were ordered along with a new turbo as the vanes had pretty much seized up. I fitted everything nicely and put in M10 studs in the old 3/8 studs location for the turbo. Fired her up and the nasty knock is still there, only running for a few minutes it gets warm on the engine block at No. 1 piston area compared to Nos. 2,3 & 4 areas on the block. I am sure the problem is there. I am pulling the engine out tomorrow and bringing to my workshop to repair. Its stuck on a mountain on a farm, easier to bring in than to travel. Apologies for the long post, just trying to give as much information as possible. I am in dire need of some technical information on the cat 3204 engine. If anybody can help, it would be greatly appreciated. (I have trawled the net and there's not much, even the Cat site has only German manuals) Thanks for all the tricks and tips I have picked up here previously. Regards Craig

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2018-10-24 18:23

    Serial Number first..... Engine or tractor, it makes no difference.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2018-10-24 19:39

    If the turbo is seized it ran without oil Oil pump is in front cover replace the rotors in it ans look at front housing where the outer rotor ride in and make sure it is not scored. probably a rod also always have the small end of the connecting rod rebushed I always replace the 2 ring piston with the 3 ring. make sure you pull the plugs in the oil galleys and flush them out. always check the piston protrusion. I have had to take some off of piston if block has been decked I always replace the head bolts too

  3. #3craigin2018-10-25 12:30

    Hi Nige Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately there is no plate on the engine however there is one located in the cab albeit battered and bruised. These are all the numbers I picked up off the plate: D4H *8PB02976* 3204DI *45V76414* *1CE03984* (The number 1 maybe an I) There are a few more numbers which there is no readable description of their definition so I will withhold those to avoid any confusion. The other plate in the cab states the following: CAT Mitsubishi Code: H30 Sequence Number: 0795 Made in Japan The hour meter has 2341 hours logged however I am doubtful it works. I will post a few photos soon. Thanks Regards Craig

  4. #4craigin2018-10-25 12:33

    Hi Dave Thank you for the reply and advice, much appreciated. The engine is out and almost in my workshop, I will definitely look at what you have suggested. Thanks Regards Craig

  5. #5craigin2018-10-25 13:12

    Here are a few photos of the above mentioned job.

  6. #6craigin2018-10-30 12:43

    Update: Big end bearing on no. 1 piston is done. Crankshaft journal is rough. No. 2,3 & 4 pistons rattle around. Engine is in pretty bad shape. Is anybody willing to share a workshop manual? Or a swap... I have Cat 3406, service and parts manual. Grove, Manitowoc mobile & crawler manuals.

  7. #7Fat Dan2020-04-15 00:47

    Nice ones on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-CATERP...=3237132330582586dd53565642d197007bcd599907ea https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpilla...871842?hash=item288f4ce022:g:NM4AAOSwq29eVljV

  8. #8kshansen2020-04-15 11:06

    Fat Dan, think you misunderstood, craig has the 3406 manual he is wanting to trade it for one for his D4H engine project.

  9. #9Fat Dan2020-04-15 11:19

    Oops!

  10. #10AllDodge2020-04-15 11:35

    Ahhh this is from 2018, my guess is craigin should be done with the rebuild

  11. #11kshansen2020-04-15 12:20

    Okay then get all technically about things like that! I'll blame it on Dan he's the one that bumped it up to today!