Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D20P….wet or dry clutch?

EddieH ยท 2018-10-24 21:12

I've seen conflicting info on this. I'm changing my drive clutches and on the side I have out so far, there's about several gallons in that side. So much that I couldn't get the brake shoe rotated without picking up some and really making things fun. I'm just curious so I know how oil free the new clutch discs/steels need to be. Thank you.

Replies3
  1. #1EddieH2018-10-31 00:37

    FYI, after more research I found out that they are dry clutches. Thought I'd post so folks would know.

  2. #2pdub2018-10-31 10:38

    Yea you probably figured out you have a seal out between the clutch housing and the differential. The best tool to use to remove the clutches is the ratchet wrench that has the pivoting head. I believe it was a 13mm. Worked great.

  3. #3JimInOz2018-11-01 21:43

    They are a dry system. If it's oil in the steer housings,your bevel gear seals are leaking. You'll need to check the condition of the bevel gear etc,as you don't know how long the oil has been leaking out. The manual covers this,but typically,the Japanese manuals are rubbish If water has got in,maybe the top cover is not sealed properly. I just renewed my steering plates & springs,so PM me if you need info.For some reason,these little Komatsu clutches really find a way to bond together & rust .I had to cut one drum....nothing would free the plates.I never had this much trouble with Mitsubishi BD2 clutches. I found that using several All-Threads in place of the compressor tool was a good idea. The 8 bolts go into the retainer plate until they are flush with the outside of the retainer ring. Jim