Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d4h extreme swamp dozer

fiat41b ยท 2016-07-31 22:35

I going to look at a D4h series III has a enclosed cab with air 5000hrs It has really long and wide tracks 36"or 40" tall grousers strong undercarraige and small strait blade with tilt and side push arms no c frame. This dozer was used for pushing lime sludge Tried to find another one on the net but have not yet so looking for information on this rig Cat brochure Specs ect. I'm cleaning out a big pond that's has silted in really bad bottom sandy muddy 400' across the long reach cant get it and my 6r lgp sinks I'm currently bleeding it out with cut channels its a 30' higher elevation to get the mud out basically a 60+ year old pond and it keeps raining lol.

Replies19
  1. #1Delmer2016-07-31 22:42

    Search Scrub Puller's tank cleaning scoops. That seems like a more straightforward way to clean a pond like that. Even if it could get across the much, how much work is it going to be able to do? especially after the muck is loosened up a little.

  2. #2fiat41b2016-07-31 23:10

    well a swamp dozer of this size could probably keep up with a 1 yard long reach excavator that's loading cat d400 trucks I actually only have 250' unreachable muck thanks I will check that out.

  3. #3CatToy2016-08-01 08:57

    I agree with Delmer, it will be hard to push much unless your tracks can get to a firm bottom, then any dozer should work. I used your thinking when I purchased a D4H LGP two years back to clean out my muck filled pond that had been drained for two years. I had tested the bottom with my excavator and found about 3-4' of muck, so I knew I would not sink out enough to damage equipment. I could drive the D4 anywhere on top of the muck but as soon as I set the blade, the tracks would dig down and set the belly in the muck and loose traction. After several extractions with the excavator (had to get the wife to drive the excavator to pull me out which she hates doing and cost me a lot in pain and suffering later cause now I owe her), I rented a long reach excavator and dug muck until I got a lot of the soupy stuff out near the dam. Once I was able to hit the hard bottom in a big enough area, I used the dozer to push from the side towards the excavator. Disclaimer, I am not an experienced equipment operator, so your experience may not be the same.

  4. #4fiat41b2016-08-01 12:32

    Well I will try to get you some pics of how I do things (east side) of the pond is ready for me to remove with my scraper pans (pull scrapers) that is its bleed out and is firm but I'm not in a hurry on that yet . If it would have a really good bottom I would shove it all out to the side with my 41b. a lot of sand my d6r gets around pretty well with 36' tracks This is not your ordinary Cat d4h it will stay afloat where you would drown on foot in sludge I think it was made for working in the deep swamps (everglades) and Louisiana bayou's

  5. #5Dickjr.2016-08-01 14:38

    Pond cleaning , dangerous business this can be. We have a guy here that wants one cleaned , it is the low point on the property surrounded by knobs. Lots of springs feeding it. It can be done but not on the budget provided. There was a guy here that bought an actual dredge one time to remove slurry from ponds. Post up some pics of this D4H. Can you get on solid ground and maybe use a loader to pack it out , we've done that but you have to either have rock bottom or hard clay.

  6. #6lantraxco2016-08-01 15:32

    There was a reason draglines were popular back when, a good dragline and three or four mud mats and you were slinging hash with the big dogs...

  7. #7fiat41b2016-08-02 01:10

    I have a 6.5 yard excavator and a long reach to load my 50 ton payhauler and d400 ejector trucks with as long as i can keep them on the shelf and feed them i should be fine its mostly the west sided of this project that is the tough deeper stuff, bad access too. Today i cleared some trees from a slew like area and turned it into a big ramp coming down from the high side and have used the clay for a bench to sit on i think im going to be ok my 6r does well just thought that this extreme track 4h might float better it is the black thick grease looking mud after you cut 2.5 feet HERE IS THE DEAL THE GUY HAS A 3C LGP SET UP THE SAME BOTH AC/CABS the d3 has really extreme pyramid pads and a strait blade and 4000 hrs. i can by both for 20,000 again they are made to go where you cant walk on foot. My friend has a d65 pyramid pads 38" he had to load it up and haul it to go rescue a guy who was stuck out in a lagoon on a union project.

  8. #8fiat41b2016-08-02 01:21
  9. #9fiat41b2016-08-02 01:46

    scrub puller sounds like a sauerman that would be a a drag bucket and a dead man and a winch could not find scrub puller yet.

  10. #10Scrub Puller2016-08-02 03:11

    Yair . . . Gotcha fiat41b Discussion here may be helpful . . . . HeavyEquipmentForums Cheers.

  11. #11Willie B2016-08-02 07:52

    Here, a contractor was a bit of a cowboy. He wanted a contract to build a pond for a think tank financed from the fabulous wealth of Steven & Audrey Currier's estate. The experts said he didn't possess the equipment to did such a pond. He was sure, said they didn't have to pay if he failed. He began by excavating the brook outflowing from a swamp. Once drainage was encouraged, he put a bare bones John Deere 350 in the slop. A giant log skidder was positioned on each side. Three men spent a month winching the little crawler through. Working uphill, there was mud, but their progress left a narrow ditch to cross. After all the muck was trucked away as future topsoil, he had an open ended 200 yard long u shaped pond. Building the dam was the easy part. Willie

  12. #12bam19682016-08-02 09:18

    I have never ran a D4h so I may be speaking out of line. That being said, it looks to me like once you get that machine stuffed full of that black greasy muck that it would take most of its power just to move. Much less getting any production out of it. I think you might be better off with a 6 way blade. Just my $.02

  13. #13Dickjr.2016-08-02 09:24

    That thing is spread out pretty well. How wide are the pads? If you get this going post some pics in action. One thing I have noticed when working wide pad machines , you just can't really get a good blade full , but I guess in this case a half blade is sufficient. I've seen guys put pull cables attached to the hitch pins and strap the cable on the cab for those o **** moments.

  14. #14fiat41b2016-08-02 10:05

    That has a plastic liner on the face of the blade so material wont stick to it. I had a loaded gps Cat d4klgp but sold it wish I had it back was a nice one.

  15. #15DoyleX2016-08-04 13:35

    I know of a nice condition BIG sauerman bucket for sale in OK. It is overwidth.

  16. #16Willie B2016-08-04 19:57

    I'd have sworn my wife didn't have an identical twin sister. Willie

  17. #17CatToy2016-08-05 13:35

    Still paying off my debt 2 years later, painting the bathroom this weekend... . I just got a new piece of equipment today and I am going to have to wait till Monday to play on it .

  18. #18Willie B2016-08-05 19:08

    By total chance I rolled in on her birthday 3 times with new to me heavy equipment. One, the dump truck we (#1 son &I) went to Pennsylvania to get. We left VT at three AM the day before her birthday. Had we not run out of fuel twice (2 tanks) within a mile of the dealership, and the air compressor come loose from its mounts 12 times en route, we'd have been home before her birthday. As it was, we got home in the wee hours of morning. I use 6" wide underground warning ribbon. I wished I'd had a piece. I could have rolled in with a giant bow on it. She has a dump truck, a backhoe, and a bulldozer. What more could a woman want? She has NO sense of humor. Willie

  19. #19Welder Dave2016-08-06 01:37

    Did she at least give you bone to chew on in the doghouse?