Hello everyone. I bought a D4H LGP Series 3 the other day, and I was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to help me out with telling the the year it was made please? The serial number is 9GJ01015 and it was sold as being a 1994 model year. Not that it really matters one way or the other, since I now own it, I'm just curious. In looking at used equipment I've found often the owners of old equipment don't have a clue what year their equipment was made, or they rely on bad information given to them by the last owner. Also does anyone know the difference between the different Series numbers 1, 2, 3 ? And one more thing if I could, what is the proper fluid for the transmission? I tried looking it up on Cat parts.com, but that site is very confusing if you ask me. I ordered some used manuals on eBay but don't have them in hand yet. As always thanks in advance everyone. Tim
Date of Manufacture for 9GJ01015 was 25th April 1994. The correct oil for the transmission in your climate is an SAE30 meeting Caterpillat TO-4 specification, ot SAE30 TDTO if you buy the oil from your Cat dealer. You really need an Operation & Maintenance Manual if the one behind the seat is missing (probably is by now). The Cat Publication reference is SEBU6482. You can download a copy for $52 from - https://catpublications.com/ - simply search for the number. Here's a genuine one on CD for slightly less - https://www.ebay.com/itm/313968929449
Nige you’re the man!!! Thank you so much. Tim.
Nige you’re the man!!! Thank you so much. I’m pretty sure I saw an Op and Maintenance manual in the Cat factory service manual that I ordered off of eBay. I’m waiting to see for sure what all is in there before I but the extra manuals. Hoping a parts manual might be in there too if I’m really lucky. Tim
If it's a paper version and is complete (you could always ask the seller for confirmation) it will have ann O&M Manual in the binder. It's not unknown for the O&M to "go walkabout" from many service manuals. No Parts Manual in a Service Manual unfortunately. The Publication reference is SEBP2021. Here's one from the same seller as the O&M I linked previously - https://www.ebay.com/itm/313432514751