Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D4H Series 2 Maintenance help

Rodlaw11 ยท 2021-06-04 10:57

I recently purchased a D4H series 2 dozer 1990s. I am looking for advice/tips on performing maintenance. I haven't had any luck in finding any on youtube or threads specifically to this model. Specifically looking for how and where to check the Power Train; Final drives; Recoil Spring compartments and Pivot Shaft? Also, any tips for changing engine oil and hydraulic filters to prevent a huge mess since they are upside down. Videos, thread links, advice are all greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2021-06-04 11:06

    Sounds like you need an Operation & Maintenance Manual. They can be downloaded from Cat for $49. To identify the correct publication for your specific machine would require the machine Serial Number. If you post that I can walk you through the process of how to get one. With the Publication Reference you could also try places like eBay but a large proportion of sellers are asking higher prices for used manuals than what you could buy a new one for..!!

  2. #2Rodlaw112021-06-04 11:22

    Ah, that's what I thought I was getting at the Cat dealership, but just ended up with a maintenance schedule with no pictures lol. The SN is 8PB04335. Thanks for the help.

  3. #3Nige2021-06-04 11:32

    OK, the O&M Manual for machines with S/N above 8PB4000 is Publication Reference SEBU6374. To order a copy, go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears, click on "Continue as Guest" Put SEBU6374 in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. If you buy a download from the website it will be available within 5 minutes. CD or paper versions will attract S&H costs on top of the price shown.

  4. #4Rodlaw112021-06-04 12:28

    Awesome...pictures! Many thanks.

  5. #5Nige2021-06-04 13:51

    If you have any questions after having read the manual be sure to come back and ask.