Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d5c bore spec

Tyler d4c ยท 2019-12-03 20:04

I need the spec for the barrel end bore for the spherical bearing in the tilt cylinder. I cant seem to locate it 7ps prefix. Thanks for the help

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2019-12-04 04:42

    You mean this one..?

  2. #2Tyler d4c2019-12-04 15:24

    Yes sir.

  3. #3Nige2019-12-04 16:05

    I can't find a spec for it. It'll be buried somewhere in a dealer-only rebuild spec or in a factory engineering drawing. Ballpark figure. Get hold of a new 4D-0298 spherical bearing and measure the outside diameter with a micrometer. Rebuild the bearing bore to that measurement MINUS about 0.001" per inch of outside diameter of the bearing. So for example if the bearing measures 4.000" O/D, machine the bore to 4.000 - (4 x 0.001) = 3.996". You'll need some dry ice or similar to shrink the new bearing in order to get it in. Sorry that's the best I can come up with.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2019-12-04 16:41

    That's the plan was just trying to get ahead of the 8 ball. Thanks anyhow.

  5. #5kshansen2019-12-04 20:02

    That's a good plan but I would add that many of those spherical bearings are assembled by "cracking" the outer ring on one side to let it spread a bit to allow the inner section to pop in. So when measuring the O.D. for the boring of the housing I would be tempted to put a heavy-duty hose clamp around the outside and tighten it good to see if the measurement changes. Might be a little fussy but for the time it takes not a big deal.