Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat d5c electrical main breaker kicks

only1parrish ยท 2015-05-02 10:39

I have a electrical problem with a cat d5c can anyone tell me why the red main breaker kicks immediately when key is on. I was using dozer when it first occurred. engine shut down. didn't improve when it cooled off had same problem. cat store recommended new ignition switch but that didn't help. did get it to stay engaged one time for about one minute. someone said it has a fuel solenoid that could be a problem. is the fuel pump electric or mechanical. I tend to believe it may be starting aid I never need to use and am going to disconnect it. if its a short I guess disconnecting wires until breaker stays engaged is the only way to find it. Any suggestions or similar problems?

Replies11
  1. #1zigzag2015-05-02 15:06

    I have electric schematic and truobleshooting if interested mail to [email protected]

  2. #2nowing752015-05-02 20:54

    Schematic will be your best bet. Might get lucky and the problem circuit will get warm. Just start disconnecting circuits until you find the problem.

  3. #3only1parrish2015-05-02 22:08

    i have schematic that shows where wires go but it doesn't have any troubleshooting suggestions like maybe a service manual would have?

  4. #4zigzag2015-05-03 02:57

    At first do the wiring visual inspect fot damage and check the short curcut at main bus. Sometimes the cercuit breaker may be fault. Write the serial number i will see schematics and troubleshooting.

  5. #5only1parrish2015-05-03 13:34

    the serial # is 9dl02364

  6. #6only1parrish2015-05-03 13:46

    thanks

  7. #7zigzag2015-05-03 13:58

    Write your mail pls.

  8. #8zigzag2015-05-03 14:20

    The main circuit braker responses for starter motor, keystart switch, start relay. You should check it at first for short circuit to massa (ground).

  9. #9only1parrish2015-05-03 15:29

    [email protected]

  10. #10zbo22015-05-03 22:38

    is there more than 1 wire to the on side of the ignition switch? if so disconnect all the wires and add them back 1 at a time and see which wire trips the breaker.... then see what that wire activates... Joe

  11. #11only1parrish2015-05-04 08:25

    put new ignition on. one screw had three wires. I assume thats the on. will try that. will also disconnect preheat as the only other time main ever kicked was 6 months ago one day I punched the glow plug button?