Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5C Fuel issue

Brandt ยท 2025-03-30 10:29

Due to my haste and stupidity, I forgot to put the fuel cap on the tank and got 10" of snow in my fuel tank. I have tried to pressurize the tank to push out the water. With the fuel line off Just before the filter - nothing came out. I tried to push back up the line to the tank and I built pressure in the line. I do not have a manual for this machine. 1) Is there a check valve in the fuel line between the tank and filter?? 2) There appears to be a square drive plug on the bottom of the tank. My next move is to pull this plug and see if sludge comes out. 3) Is there any screen or other filtering device between the tank and spin on fuel filter?? 4) Where/How is the fuel tank vented? Water didn't make it to the filter as the machine was parked, just to the line and bottom of the tank. After the snow it was -10*F to 10*F for about 2 weeks. I don't know if ice could damage anything that is between the spin on filter and the tank. This is a mid '90's Japanese machine.

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2025-03-30 12:50

    The answers to most of your questions are "it depends" - on the machine Serial number so we can have a look at the actual fuel system you have. I see over a dozen different flavours of D5C.

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-03-30 13:08

    Should be a drain on bottom of tank to drain water I would try opening that and see what comes out

  3. #3Nige2025-03-30 13:22

    Is this what you are looking at.? If so you then you should remove the plug completely and install a pipe nipple that is the same thread. As you screw the nipple into the housing #18 it lifts the valve #21 against a spring and allows fluid to flow out. EDIT: You may find the valve #21 has seized if it has not been moved for a long time.

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2025-03-30 13:40

    To me that looks like hyd tank drain I remember a petcock with a hose to drain water

  5. #5Nige2025-03-30 13:53

    I agree. However the above is an illustration of the fuel tank draining procedure from the O&M of a random prefix of D5C that I pulled up. The OP's description of it rang a bell.

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2025-03-30 14:40

    Look under fuel lines in parts

  7. #7Nige2025-03-30 14:50

    I will when he gives me a Serial Number. I did a brief look but found various different setups, I want to know which exact one he has before I go digging.

  8. #8Brandt2025-03-30 16:09

    S/N 6PJ00660 My previous research shows it as a 1993 with a 3204 eng. Fuel cap P/N is 7x 7000. Fuel filter P/N is 1R 0750, if that has any bearing on anything. I noticed 2 needle valves on the front of what I think is still the fuel tank. I did not trace these lines, but are they for coolant flow thru the fuel tank?? Yes Nige, the pic is what I was referring to.

  9. #9Nige2025-03-30 16:20

    See attached. They should be fuel feed and return lines if I am correct. The 7X-7700 fuel tank cap contains a vent which is equipped with a replaceable filter kit.

  10. #10Brandt2025-03-30 16:34

    Wow! they are tiny lines! I may have a clog in them. I have sucked the tank as dry as I can get it now. Leaving for the road in a few hours, it will be Friday before I can look at it again. Hopefully the fresh snow will have melted by then.

  11. #11larry@paragonlandclearing2025-03-30 17:36

    This light keeps going off and on. What exactly is it

  12. #12Nige2025-03-30 19:49

    Low fuel pressure. If you don't have an Operation & Maintenance Manual I would suggest you get one ASAP, especially if you do your own maintenance. Look for Cat Publication reference SEBU7418. Here's a genuine OEM one for $43 on eBay .

  13. #13Welder Dave2025-03-30 22:21

    That's strange it doesn't have a simple petcock to drain water, especially when they advise draining water on a regular basis. My 931B is somewhat similar and has an access hole above the track. There is a big T handle and a smaller petcock. I think the T handle drains the tank and the petcock shuts off fuel to the filter. Odd why Cat would change that but maybe the handle could get knocked open if the cover was missing?? I need to make or get a new cover because I mistakenly forgot to put it back on and it fell off in some soft ground. I know the area it fell off but trying to find it was fruitless.