Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5C S/N 6PJ00785 Transmission Leak (Update)

Dave303223 ยท 2022-12-02 16:46

So after repacking the right steering control valve (looked like it was coming from there) I found the leak was coming from the PTO shaft seal off the Transfer Gear Case. I'm looking at pulling the PTO shaft out of the "cage Bearing" cover to see if I can replace the seal without having to remove the Transfer Gear assembly. Unfortunately, the manual does not show the PTO shaft installation because it's an option! I'm hoping it will just slide out of the transfer gear and that the gear is captured and not dependent on the shaft to keep it in place. Anyone pull the PTO before and know about this?? The parts manual show it in 8E7615 GEAR & CASE GP-TRANSFER If I can't just press in a seal I'm hoping I can remove the PTO shaft and install the Non-PTO option cover plate 8K-4909. Thanks, Dave

Replies2
  1. #1Dave Neubert2022-12-02 21:40

    PTO WILL JUST PULL OUT

  2. #2Dave3032232022-12-04 09:24

    That's what I suspected, just didn't want make it worse. Even the local Cat dealer mech couldn't find any info on the PTO install but felt it should just pull out. dave