Hi all I am having issues with my little D5G Dozer. Cat D5G Serial: RKG00549 it has full power when sitting idle and full revs, but when goes under load either drive or hydraulics it misses and losses power. The air intake symbol on the dash intermittently flickers in-line with the power loss. The symbol on start up /accessories is orange and then when I have the mis/loss of power it flickers engine air intake symbol We have replaced all air filters and restrictor. Replaced all fuel filters and cleaned lines. I can seem to find any further info In manual or cat sources.
The icon you see flashing is for the air intake heater. This heater is only designed to activate when the engine coolant temperature is sufficiently low to need assistance when cold starting. In your location I wouldn't have though it would activate at any time of the year. With the machine electronics there is a coolant temperature sensor that should activate the intake heater. This is not the same component as the coolant temp sender which supplies the signal for the coolant temperature gauge on the panel. Maybe what is needed first is to get into the Diagnostic Codes. This is easy to do using a short piece of wire. See the attachment. The Harness Code Plug (HCP) that is referred to in the document is a rectangular 8-pin connector located in the LH console right next to the circular 9-pin connector for the ET Service Tool. Basically with the engine off remove the half of the HCP with the black jumper wires on it, then follow the instructions. Report back with what you find.
Hi the codes we got are 144 252 Nathan
Right. 144 is the start relay, 252 is the service brake pedal position sensor. I'm going to suggest you start with the 2nd one first as it seems more relevant to your intermittent symptoms. There is a small problem. There are three possible failure modes and each one has a separate test. See the attached troubleshooting procedure which is for the most common one. Try that and see how you get on. I'll send you the electrical schematic as well because you are probably going to need it at some point.
Here are the troubleshooting procedures for the start relay. There are three of them. Just thinking about it the flashing light for the air intake heater could be related to this fault.
A thought has just struck me. IIRC HEF member @CM1995 who owns a D5G has commented a number of times regarding how essential it is to have good alternator output on his machine to avoid any sort of electrical gremlins. I would suggest to shelve the tests above until you have tested the alternator output voltage at both Low Idle and High Idle RPM. Here is one thread anong many where he has mentioned it - HeavyEquipmentForums
The alternator had a lose belt which once tightening seems to have rectified the flashing icon which seems to have gone. the engine seems to be a totally seperate issue, it still has a miss/sluggish power loss when under power load (drive or hyd used). I have ran a new fuel line, removed filters, full tank of fuel for head pressure, push pump is working, injectors all cracked and getting fuel, it start facing down or up hill (testing injector seal) not sure where to go from here. Do I get the injector pump rebuilt? Or something more simple
Is this your fuel filter/priming pump setup.? If it is then did you do anything to it other than install a new filter.?
I’m pretty sure we have found the issue. it’s had a aftermarket lift Pump installed and it’s getting powered intermittently so it regulating fuel to the injector pump. We have done the wiring and connections to the lift pump and all seems to be running full power consistently. Thanks again for your help and comments