Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5G having issues

Nathanstillwell ยท 2016-08-14 09:32

I'm having an issue with my d5g lgp dozer. Here lately, not all the time, if you get the dozer on a pretty steep incline, it'll die. I can take my excavator and drag it down on a flat area and it'll fire right back up like nothing ever happened. It makes no difference if the fuel level is full or if it's low. It's never done it riding a slope, only when it's nosed up. The electric motor on the lift pump was one of my first thoughts but I've replaced it once already from a prior issue not related to this one. The lift pump is still running. Do these machines have an oil level or pressure sensor that kills the machine in a situation like this? I've ask my cat service guy and he didn't think they did. (I don't put a lot of faith in him) When I talked to cat they just want to start throwing parts at it until they find the problem. I'm hoping someone here has experienced this issue before. Thanks in advance!

Replies1
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-08-14 11:01

    I had a similar problem w/ a BOMAG at the county landfill.. NO FUN.. I found a rubber fuel line that would flex enough going up the garbage hill to pinch off the fuel. AND it did it EVERYTIME it got about mid way.. The operator would just drop it in neutral and coast back down and restart it and go again.. Lol I found it by putting pressure gauges and vacuum gauges on the injection pump 1st, just to verify my thoughts.. Then worked backwards until I found the rubber line.. UNDER/ INSIDE the belly pan.. NOT FUN..