Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Convert stud piloted lug system to hub piloted system

overhaulin ยท 2016-08-15 15:48

Okay we're blazing, LOL, new territory again and I need some help. I recently purchased a 1991 International 4900/DT466 series dump truck with a single axle assembly. The wheels are 22.5 but they have a ball seat stud piloted system for securing the wheel to the hub. I would like to get rid of the steel wheels and replace them with some Alcoa wheels, but I understand that most manufacturers don't make wheels for stud piloted systems after 1995. Long story short can anyone tell me if I can update the stud piloted system to a hub piloted system? Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies2
  1. #1Truck Shop2016-08-15 18:49

    You will have to change the hubs for hub pilot style wheels or install longer studs for stud pilot aluminum wheels. Acu Ride and Alco still make stud pilot aluminum wheels. Or buy some used ones, just make sure the bead area isn't worn out or the wheels are not cracked. Truck Shop

  2. #2overhaulin2016-08-16 06:37

    Any idea what year make or model hub I would use to convert?