Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d5g jerking movement from transmission

Highway 6 Repair · 2019-10-08 14:43

Have a cat d5g dozer that sometimes will begin to jerk and or buck badly seems it does it more when the decel pedal is used instead of the hand throttle. I have pulled the speed sensor from The bell housing and cleaned the mag pickup. Did not fix the issue. Some times it does not do it at all. I'm leaning towards the decel pedal sensor could it cause it. When it starts to jerk the exclamation light will blink on sometimes. Anybody had any problems with this before?

Replies20
  1. #1Nige2019-10-08 14:47

    Do you have a Serial Number and have you identified if there are any Active Diagnostic Codes present.? If you don't know how to get at the Codes I can post something that will guide you.

  2. #2Highway 6 Repair2019-10-08 14:48

    Yes could you please post how to retrieve the codes. I have cat et but my adapter is on the blink I have ordered a replacement lastnight.

  3. #3Highway 6 Repair2019-10-08 14:49

    I will get you the serial number I do not have it with me and I'm not by the dozer at the moment.

  4. #4Nige2019-10-08 15:02

    Not important at the moment, as soon as you mentioned ET it was obvious you weren't a novice. Here's how to get at the Codes. You'll need a piece of automotive cable about 6" long - very technical........

  5. #5Highway 6 Repair2019-10-08 16:19

    Perfect thank you sir. I will reply back when I get the codes out of it

  6. #6Highway 6 Repair2019-10-25 11:21

    Sorry it's been a while I've had a lit of things come up. Here's the story on this dozer that is still acting the same. Pulled codes with cat et. No active codes only logged event was the decel was out of calibration so I calibrated that. Also they trans pumps had failed calibration with .5 hours on the machine recalibrated that and was successful. Recalibrated joy sticks and service brake. Had to recalibrate service brake twice both time showed successful but after running the machine it showed it was out of calibration again. Anybody got any ideas? Nige?

  7. #7Highway 6 Repair2019-10-25 13:42

    Anyone have any kind of idea

  8. #8Nige2019-10-25 14:47

    What's the exact Diagnostic Code you're getting that tells you the Service Brake requires recalibration.?

  9. #9Highway 6 Repair2019-10-25 16:11

    Logged events 468-13 468-4 468-3

  10. #10Nige2019-10-25 16:20

    I see your problem. The Codes for the pedal position sensor 468-3 (sensor signal above normal) & 468-4 (sensor signal below normal) will be triggering the 468-13 (Requires Calibration ) Code, even if they are not Active Diagnostic Codes all the time The Troubleshooting for both -3 and -4 says the same - The sensor is probably out of specification, if the diagnostic code is only present under certain extreme operating conditions such as pedal "full-up" or pedal "full-down". Replace the sensor and calibrate the new sensor. See Testing and Adjusting, "Calibration" for more information.

  11. #11Highway 6 Repair2019-10-25 16:24

    So you think I need to replace the sensor? That is what I am thinking. I just got back from running the dozer just now I ran while et was on and without touching any pedal i could watch the service brake percentage fluctuate like it was trying to stop the dozer.

  12. #12Highway 6 Repair2019-10-25 16:25

    Do you show if it calls for 1 or two of the sensors?

  13. #13Highway 6 Repair2019-10-25 16:32

    I really appreciate your help on this thing Nige!

  14. #14Nige2019-10-25 16:35

    Should be only one, but to confirm would require the machine Serial Number. EDIT: It looks there are two identical rotary position sensors, one for the governor control pedal position, the other for the brake pedal position. Part Number is 160-2443. Maybe try swapping the sensors between the two pedals (you'll have to recalibrate the brake one again) and see what happens. If the current brake pedal position sensor is dodgy the problem ought to move to the governor control pedal)

  15. #15Highway 6 Repair2019-10-25 17:43

    Yes sir thank you again

  16. #16BurroEarthworx2022-09-21 10:11

    Nige thanks for posting this great info. I have a D5G that has just stared to abruptly stop, like I put it in neutral while moving. It's violent, the hydrostatic warning light comes on for 2-3 seconds, then the parking brake light. After few seconds the machine runs like normal. I'd like to pull the codes, I'm just unsure where the plug noted above is to do so. I am a novice with these dozers, unfamiliar with ET.

  17. #17Nige2022-09-21 13:05

    Post your Serial Number. I can send you the appropriate electrical schematic and on that it will show the location of the Harness Code Plug that is used for pulling the Codes.

  18. #18John McDaniel2023-01-17 21:29

    Did you ever get this fixed mine is doing the same thing except sometimes it won’t move forwards or reverse throttle will stay wide open but no movement reach down and pull up on decel petal and it’s all good so I’m assuming decel petal sensor

  19. #19Nige2023-01-17 22:05

    Go back up to Post #5 and open the attachment in it. Post a list of whatever Diagnostic Codes you find on your tractor along with a machine Serial Number.

  20. #20John McDaniel2023-01-18 07:19

    Thank you I’ll see what I come up with may take a couple of days I finished my job up and I’m heading to the next it’s something with the decel pedal of accel pedal sensor forsure thought maybe inching pedal but for sure the fuel pedal