Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5G, Joystick Control Module Repair; S/N RKG01078

Pigpen ยท 2024-01-06 08:00

I'm buying a 2004, D5G with a joystick, control module that needs to be repaired. The range of motion is limited when trying to steer to the right so it's a mechanical problem. Does anyone know of a solid company that can rebuild these or where I can buy a rebuilding kit? Cat says it's not repairable but I'm confident there are companies that can. Any help is appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #18V712024-01-06 16:01

    You might try www.isoscell.com

  2. #2CM19952024-01-06 16:14

    The control group or the joystick handle? $1500 for the control group and $515 for the handle from Cat. + tax.

  3. #3Nige2024-01-06 16:41

    The control module on your tractor is/was a 230-1024. It updated to 286-7039 from S/N RKG02482-Up. There were internal changes to increase the strength of the PWM signals from the module, a more robust circuit board, and better protection from moisture ingress to prevent internal corrosion. Based on all the above I would suggest to bite the bullet and buy an updated control. If you pull yours apart you will probably find that it is toast, most likely from corrosion.

  4. #4Pigpen2024-01-06 17:10

    Thank you, I'll try them Monday

  5. #5Pigpen2024-01-06 17:14

    It's the control module for sure. That's a plug n play but the joystick would require a re-calibration. Perhaps I'll change both to start fresh.

  6. #6Pigpen2024-01-06 17:17

    Yeah, that's probably the wisest thing to do.

  7. #7CM19952024-01-06 18:07

    My D5G is in need of a calibration as well. Those G's get out of whack ever 4-5 years and need some laptop juice to get them walking straight again.

  8. #8Pigpen2024-01-06 18:20

    This is my first Cat dozer, any other particular anomalies with the D5G?

  9. #9Nige2024-01-06 18:24

    Keep the fan belts correctly tensioned and in good condition otherwise the system voltage will drop and cause all sorts of weird & wonderful things to happen. You got manuals for it yet.?

  10. #10Pigpen2024-01-06 18:35

    I have the parts manual and I'm about to purchase the service manual on a USB drive - just need to verify they send me the correct one for my s/n. Good advice Nige, I'll incorporate that into my next service interval.

  11. #11CM19952024-01-06 18:42

    As Nige said the G series get funky when the voltage is not a steady 14.4 V. Had an issue with out D5G engaging the parking brake out of the blue while going full forward. You can imagine what that feels like. Turned out it was the alternator not providing a constant 14.4 V which engaged the parking brake. Overall the G series are great machines but they do have their quirks. A weak or dying battery will also cause issues.