Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6N questions

Shimmy1 ยท 2024-01-07 12:14

2004 Caterpillar D6N Serial ALR00371 This machine has fingertip steering. I didn't know any 6Ns were built like this?

Replies4
  1. #1Shimmy12024-01-07 15:04

    .

  2. #2Nige2024-01-07 15:14

    All the ALR-prefix machines are clutch & brake steering. Also all of the ALH, CBF, CBJ, & CCG prefix D6N models were built that way. The other 21 prefixes of D6N were all built with differential steering........

  3. #3Shimmy12024-01-07 15:32

    Thanks, Nige. I had no idea that any 6N machines had clutch steering. Also, some literature I have found suggests they are about 6 tons lighter? I can't even imagine how that's possible. Misprint?

  4. #4Nige2024-01-07 15:59

    "All dimensions, wegihts, etc, are approximate..........." I can't see why there would be so much difference in weight. That is approx operating weight BTW. PHB gives 15,530kg as base weight for a D6N and 16,930kg as base weight for an LGP version.