I have a cat D5g dozer serial number 5xk36648. Yesterday I tried moving it and wouldn't take drive but did take reverse after messing with the joystick a few times it still never took drive but reverse would engage for a minute then disengage it did this 4 or 5 times then stopped taking reverse at all. I pulled trouble code 244 (parked brake switch) change it and still no luck. After clearing codes and trying the switch it now gives code 144(start relay) but it starts just fine. I'm sure it has to be an electrical problem because I found a blown fuse and after replacing it the lights on dash won't go out unless u pull the fuse. I'm at a loss of what to try next Any help would be appreciated
Look for chewed up wires....the more random the symptoms the more I look for vermin.
Yea it did have a rat living under the seat but I have pulled several panels and haven't found any chewed wires at all
I had rabbits eat the trans control harness on a D6M 5-6 years back... Spendy fix. Buggers got 19 wires IIRC.
They’re quite adept at chewing them up in really inconvenient places to repair or even see for that matter. More than once I’ve dug into an electrical problem, found the nest, smelled the smell and said to myself FML!
It had only been sitting for a week, started fine, but wouldn't move. went to check the fuse panel and the rabbit bailed out when I opened the door... Heeler had it before it got 10 feet, and just shredded it. At least I got a little justice.
What it's doing doesn't make any sense. I can clear all codes let it run a while and it might give me the 222 all good code or the park switch code again. But I do have someone coming to take a look but it will be a couple of days. You can hear something engage and disengage with the park switch but still no movement
Does anyone have a wire diagram for this dozer?
If I think about it I can email you one in the morning if you give me your email
here is an electrical schematic
Thanks for the schematic mark
Gave up. Got a cat mechanic coming out Tuesday I'll post the fix later. I do appreciate all the help.
On the G series dozers when you start having electrical gremlins show up, check the voltage coming out of the alt. The voltage should be around 14.4 volts. The G series dozers are finicky as hell with voltage, if it's not right around 14.4 it will cause all sorts of issues. Two alternators and several sets of batteries have solved many a problem on my D5G.
I thought of that to its got two new napa commercial batteries and the alternator is only a few year old and charges at 14.3. I was also told to try changing the hydraulic filters they will be in later today
Update. New joystick controls it's running like new. Thanks for all the help