Gentlemen: We have a CAT D5G in the yard we can start -- But, there is NO Track movement at all. This Cat D5G was disassembled and re-assembled for a slightly different application... The ECM and the Wiring have been installed on the machine.... I can start the Diesel OK. The Engine seems to run OK. The Problem is: We appear to have a: Active Alarm with a Flashing Code: 1 quick flash plus 4 Short Flashes... ??? There appears to be a problem which Inhibits Track Movement! I do NOT have a Lap-top with The ET Software Installed ... How would I go about Troubleshooting this Issue?? Does the Computer (ECM) common ( J1-70) J764 - Brn get Tied to Frame Ground? Could there be a Sensor Issue? Will I require the ET Software to troubleshoot this Issue?? I Need to know the Quickest and Fastest WAY to get this Issue Resolved -- we have a Customer who is not to happy and he wants his machine ASAP. I ask for any and ALL comments on this Issue??? Thank-you - Gentlemen! Jim
Would an electrical schematic for the machine be of any help..? If so send me a PM with the machine Serial Number and your email address. I can have one on the way to you PDQ. When you first turn the key on (before starting) do all the instruments and alert indicators self-test (gauges swing full scale and warning lights flash) correctly..? Do you have the Active Alarm you mention before or after starting the engine..? IIRC you already have an Electrical Schematic. Locate the Harness Code Plug on the schematic and then physically on the machine. Remove the plug, then turn the key on. When the termination plug is removed from the connector, the ECM will display the first problem. The problem is displayed by flashing the diagnostic indicator. A valid diagnostic code will consist of a series of flashes for the first digit. A short pause immediately follows the first series of flashes. Then, a second series of flashes will represent the second digit. Then, a third series of flashes will represent the third digit. So each Diagnostic Code should be 3 digits, not 2 as you are saying. If no diagnostic codes are present or logged, the ECM will broadcast code 222. Report back with what you find.
Hi Nige! Thanks for the response to my Thread! I appreciate your comments to my problem with the CAT D5G. The CAT Dozer will start -- but there is NO Track movement. The Active Alarm comes up prior to starting the dozer. I see the flashing CODE when the KEY is rotated to the : SW.; "ON" position -- prior to starting the machine. After start -- it continues to FLASH a diagnostic code~!! This is a: D5G dozer = and I do have the correct electrical schematic for the machine. Please bear in mind that the machine was disassembled (completely) and completely re-assembled. This includes the electrical wiring. We are able to start the machine -- we just do NOT have any track movement..... Will we NEED the CAT ET software to troubleshoot this problem?? I did not know there was a THREE digit code broadcast by the ECM to the diagnostic indicator (fault lamp?) I will check that out again -- and see IF I can read the THREE digit code!! Thanks for the response and please let me know IF there are any other steps I can take to troubleshoot this problem?? Thanks in advance!! Regards, jim --
hi nige, You asked about the gauges and the warning lites on power up! -- The warning lights do FLASH ON upon initial power up. All Lights -- Come ON and there is an AUDIBLE BEEP upon power up. What is the meaning of the loud beep on power up? The instrument gauges do NOT go all the way over and then back down on power up! What does this mean?? I do have the correct electrical schematic for this D5G. I posted some time ago --- and gave you the serial number of this D5G. I'm fairly certain it is the correct schematic for this vintage CAT. There is no MSS installed on this CAT and there in no Harness code connector presently installed on this machine! -- Is this in any way important? As I indicated in the previous post we completely disassembled the machine (all the way down) and then completely re-assembled the machine (slightly different application) I'm NOT 100 % sure that all wiring is : 100% correct. I followed the schematic as closely as I could. The Active Alarm is there and I believe it is inhibiting ALL track movement.... Whatever advice you can give me -- would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
As a first step you will need the Harness Code Plug installed because without that plug the Electronic Control that operates the machine functions does not know what it is. What happened to the plug..? It should have been there when the dozer was dismantled. As an example trying to run a machine without the Harness Code Plug installed would be like trying to operate a personal computer with no Windows loaded into the hard drive. It'll start but apart from the flashing cursor on the screen won't do anything other than that. You'll find the Harness Code Plug shown on Grid G-8 of the Electrical Schematic. It is labelled CONN-22 and is located in the LH console of the tractor. The Harness Code Plug has inputs into the Machine ECM located into Grid H-11 of the Schematic.
Hi nige, Thanks for the input/comment on my problem with the TRACK movement problem with my D5G. I do recall seeing the Harness Plug Connector you referred to in your last Post! --- I saw it at the time of dis-assembly. Additionally, I recall seeing it on the Schematic for this D5G! - I will try to Locate this Harness Plug Connector; and see that it is properly installed on this CAT Machine. I appreciate your Input/Comments! -- I will Post again with an Update -- after it has been located and installed...
If you have to buy a replacement the Cat Part Number is 195-8730 and cost is around $15.
Hi Nige, I did manage to find CONN. # 22. It was in a box with several other parts that came off the D5G when we dis-assembled it! BTW -- It is much easier to take these machines apart --- than it is to PUT them back together! After locating CONN # 22 -- I consulted the Schematic I have for this machine and proceeded to wire into the system per my schematic. The Schematic refers to: Harness Code 0 thru 3. They are wired on the J2 side of the ECM. J2-55, J2-58, J2-59, and J2-60. I wired the connector per the schematic. Harness Code 0,1, and 2 are wired to ground. Harness code 3 is shown floating (N/C). This is the way the schematic shows the harness code wiring. After wiring up CONN # 22 I went thru the start-up sequence. There was an immediate difference from the FAULT (diagnostic lamp) Light. NOW, there is NO more Flashing active diagnostic code. I believe we have made progress. But, what we NOW have is an Fault Lamp Lit all the time (no flashes) and a lit Action LED lit on my 6 lite panel. I believe these two Signals -- originate at: J2-9 (LED panel # 3) AND : J2-13 (fault Lamp) BOTH of these Lights are ON when I place the KEY in the: "ON" position and BOTH stay ON after the D5G is started and running! What does this now mean? I still do NOT have any Track Movement at all .... Apparently, the action and fault lamp are Inhibiting any Track movement!?? What is my next step? Do I need the CAT E/T software and a Lap top to troubleshoot this system??? BTW ---- THANKS a LOT for all the advice and Help! This is the first CAT Machine I have attempted to troubleshoot.... I'm a little new at this and I do appreciate all the help and advice!!! What should be my next move??? We had a slight HYDRAULIC Leak on our last start-up sequence and that is being addressed now... What would be the meaning of BOTH the Fault and the Action Lights being LIT ALL the time?? (no flashes) Please remember this System was taken apart and put back together. I have checked my + 8v and + 10v power supplies from the ECM -- and both voltages (for sensors) seem to be on the money! Are there ANY other-- Electrical tests I should be undertaking>??? Voltage or current? Thank-you again for all your HELP!!! I feel we are getting close! j.
When you say you wired Harness Code 0, 1, & 2 (pins 55, 58, & 59 of ECM connector J2) to "ground" do you mean machine frame ground or the dedicated ECM "Harness Code" Ground connection which is Pin 13 of ECM Connector J1 ...? Here's an illustration of the D5G dash panel. Which of the Alert indicators in the panel of 6 in the centre of the gauges is lit..? Is it the RH one on the top row..? Also where is the Master Fault Light located on your machine..? I can't see it on this illustration.
Hi Nige, thanks for the speedy reply to my last Post. I feel we are getting closer to a solution for the problem with this D5G machine... Yes, I did wire the Pin 2 connection of Conn # 22 to: J1-13. (ground) On my schematic -- the grounds for the ECM are on: J1-13 AND J1-23. Signal: 202 ---- Blk 18 (AWG) Is it not true -- that these connections are connected to: Frame Ground? this is the way I see the schematic... The POWER connections to the ECM: 1. +12 VDC (unswitched) J1-31 and J1-39 ( Battery Pos. ) 2. Ground -------- J1-13 and J1-23 ( both labeled : Ground) Have I not wired the Power and the Ground connections -- correctly? The Alert Indication you mention in your Post is the TOP Left hand indicator, it's symbol is an: Exclamation Point. ( ! ) The Master Fault Indicator is Located near the Ignition Switch (Key) if you rotate the Key to the "ON" position --- the key will be pointing directly at the FAULT Lamp. Thus, The Diagnostic Indicator is located NEAR the KEY on the Right side near around the 2 PM position. You can see it in the Image you sent me ---- near the Key .... (master fault -- LED) Thus, when the key is ON or the Dozer is running -- Both the Action LED (on the 6 lite panel) and the FAULT LAMP near the KEY are both ON all the time... There is NO Flashing and they never go OFF... Since I wired CONN # 22 into the circuit --- the ACTIVE Flashing Diagnostic Code (perhaps: 4,4, 1 ) ?? Has stopped. NOW, I simply have both Lights ON all the time ..... What does this tell us??? Will I need the laptop and the CAT ET software to troubleshoot this problem?? Are there Vendors out there ---- that will sell you a Lap top and the ET software who support their product? THANKS A LOT -- for all your Help and advice... Do you feel, in your professional opinion, that we are making some head-way on this issue? (track movement -- Left + right) I do appreciate your Posts and Insights into this issue.... J.
You appear to have, but you must not get get confused with the ground connection cables for the MACHINE which is ALWAYS Wire #200 Black and the wires that come back to the ECM on Pins J1-13 & J1-23 which are wires #202-C152 & 202-C151. These 2 wires are dedicated return wires for all the sensors, senders, switches, etc, that have inputs into the machine ECM. They are not machine grounds per se and SHOULD NOT under any circumstances be connected to machine frame ground, at least initially. They must first be grounded back to the ECM. The ground for machine power to the ECM via J1-31 & J1-23 (also J1-1 which comes from the ignition switch when it is in the ON position) is via a short external braided cable connected between the body of the ECM and one of the bolts that holds it to the machine. See illustration below, it's marked Item 1A. That external ground connection is not shown on the Schematic. Is the Exclamation Point of the Alert Indicator inside what looks like a gear wheel..? If so that indicates that there is a problem in the Hydrostatic Transmission System. This appears logical because the machine will not move. What is confusing me slightly is that in the Operator Manual to which I have access the indicator you are saying is the LH one of the top row is shown as being the RH one of the top row. Maybe your indicator module is simply oriented differently to what's shown on my manual, but I wanted to make sure before proceeding. If you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you the document that takes you through the Troubleshooting of the Hydrostatic Powertrain System.
I should have added that you don't necessarily need ET to troubleshoot whatever problem you find. Sure ET is one way of doing the troubleshooting, but it's not the only way available to you. Believe it or not now that the Harness Code Plug is installed and the machine has its brain "in gear" you can pull the Diagnostic Codes from the machine with nothing more than a couple of short lengths of insulated wire to use as jumpers. Once you have the Codes then it's a matter of applying the diagnostic procedure specific to whatever Code(s) you have. Doing the troubelshooting for any particular Code shouldn't require anything more complex than a digital multimeter.
Hi Nige, thank-you for the insightful Post and the Information concerning the Power and ground connections for my: D5G. I believe I understand what you are saying in your previous Post. Let's re-cap. You are telling me that the signals that go to : J1-13 (202-C152-BK-18) and J1-23 (202-C151-BK-18) are NOT Machine Frame grounds -- but Returns for the ECM. Thus, they DO NOT get connected to Machine Ground Directly. (at least not initially) I guess I was confused (somewhat) on this Issue, on my schematic it shows these signals as being grounded DOWNSTREAM at Platform GND (note C) So, at the ECM these signals (J1-13 + J1-23) are not tied directly to Frame Ground, but they are tied to: Conn. # 22 (harness) and Conn #21 (service connector). Additionally, The DC return for the ECM (12V RTN) to Power up the ECM is thru the Braided cable that is tied with a screw to the frame of the ECM. Is this, essentially correct? I will check my wiring and see HOW it is currently hooked-up. thank-you for your Inputs..... Additionally, I did not KNOW you could pull up your diagnostic codes from the ECM with a pair of simple jumper wires?? I would just bet that CAT does not want that INFORMATION too widely broadcast!! We have been considering BUYING the CAT Software (ET) directly from Caterpillar! At a considerable cost... I would be INTERESTED in the Procedure for pulling up these CODES! I will be sending you a PM today -- so that you may send me the Troubleshooting Procedure for the Hydrostatic Hydraulic Drive System. THANK-YOU for all of your Insights and the Information you have provided! Regards, J.
Jimbo, you are correct. Because the two black wires marked 202 function as grounds for the Harness Code connector plus for other other sensors, senders, & switches that have signal inputs into the Machine ECM they MUST first return directly from the Harness Code connector to the ECM pins J1-13 & J1-23 respectively via a single dedicated wire for each of them. The body of the ECM itself is then grounded via the cable shown in my post #11. I know that if you follow the Schematic in the other direction it eventually goes to a platform ground but for ECM purposes that connection is considered too tenuous - the whole idea is that 202 wires should be directly connected to the relevant pins on the ECM. I have the method for pulling Diagnostic Codes ready for you. Remember to include your email address because attachments cannot be sent via the PM system on HEF.
Hi Nige, First things first: I want to thank you for EMAILING me the INFO on HOW to use the Diagnostic Indicator -- to determine Diagnostic Codes. This INFO has already proved very useful. Also, I want to thank you for explaining the difference in the 200 (ground) and the 202 (ECM -- returns) this INFO has proved helpful. You have been 100 % correct about the Harness Code Info and the wiring information you supplied me. I guess what I'm saying is that you are a credit to this Forum and I thank-you for your Insightful and Informative Posts! On to where I stand with this D5G .... I have Installed the Harness Code Conn and wired the 202 wires directly to the ECM via J1-13 and J1-23. I believe all of these measures have helped in leading me to be able to -- Extract the relevant: Diagnostic Codes. The ECM is now OUTPUTING at least three different Diagnostic Codes! I will list the DIAG. Codes here: 1. Code --- 166 CID --- 0017 Fuel Shutoff Valve (wire 327?) 2. Code --- 254 CID --- 1693 Position Sensor (decel Pedal ?) (near brake?) 3. Code --- 255 CID --- 1699 Position Sensor (FWD, NEU., REV) For Code # 3 -- WHERE is this Position Sensor Located on Machine??? Since I have three diagnostic codes listed --- which should I start with first?? Is it possible -- you can send me the THREE Troubleshooting Guides explaining the proper method to TROUBLESHOOT these Active Diag. Codes?? I have a: DVM will that be adequate to troubleshoot these Issues?? I believe we have made quite a bit of progress on my key issues with this: D5G! Thanks -- for all your help!! Also, I believe my Goal is to get the Dozer to a point where the ECM outputs: Diag. Code: 222 ( Not Active or Logged Diag code!) Correct? J.
I will email you the complete troubleshooting procedures for each of the three Codes you have. One thing you will need is a digital multimeter to test continuity (or to prove a good ground) on certain wires in the machine harness. Personally I would start with troubleshooting the Code for the F->N->R control because if the ECM does not know the position of that control lever then how can it give instructions to drive the machine in any direction..? You are correct in that what you are aiming for at the end of all this is that when you pull the Diagnostic Codes from the ECM it flashes 222.
The position sensor for the F->N->R control is located inside the joystick for direction and steering control. Of the 3 Codes you have I would go for the F->N->R control first simply because your tractor will not move and this is the sensor that tells the ECM what position the direction control is in. You are correct in that the final objective is to pull the Diagnostic Codes and the indicator registers 222 which means there are no Codes.
Hi Nige, I have just sent you an EMAIL -- with my email address. Thanks! Jimbo
Thanks for the INFO on the: F-N-R sensor. I will look into that sensor First! Regards, J.
Hi Nige, thanks for all the INFO you recently sent me! All of this INFO will come in handy! I appreciate your time and effort in helping me to get this D5G ---- dozer up and running. BTW --- I believe I did mention that we took this Machine completely apart -- and then re-assembled the entire machine. When we are " UP" and running I plan to send you a Picture of the "New" Machine. You may or may not be able to recognize it --- we have made a few changes.... It is some-thing to see.... On to the business at hand. We may soon give our Local CAT dealer a call and have him come out with the Lap-top and the ET software. This decision will probably be made with time constraints in mind AND in View of your suggestion that this might be the most viable option at this time... We do value your opinion. We see that using the DIAG. Indicator has some limitations... BTW ... I do believe that this Machine received a NEW Joystick at some time in the recent past! Would a NEW joystick play as a factor in getting the 255 code??? ( FWD., NEU., REV.) Would a new joystick -- possibly require a software CAL??? Also, If I were to receive codes: 263, or 264, Hydrostat codes, would this possibly lead to the hydrostat indicator (LED) illuminating? The exclamation mark inside a wheel???? I believe you mentioned the procedure for troubleshooting the Hydrostatic drive system ---- correct???? Do you have this procedure?? Thank you once again for all your efforts on my behalf! I Hope to have some good news -- in the near future.....? J.
The fitting of a new joystick would definitely require calibration of the new sensor that comes pre-installed in the new joystick assembly. Otherwise The ECM would not recognise the new sensor. Any issue with a sensor, switch, or sender that is related to the drive system (this would even include the decelerator pedal sensor) would light up the Fault Indicator for the Hystat system - the exclamation point inside the gearwheel. The Codes 263 & 264 both relate to the proportional solenoid for the left drive pump - CID1703 & CID1704. This is not a component that can be calibrated. The possible Failure Modes for both CID numbers are FMI03, 05, & 06 - voltage above normal, current above normal, & current below normal respectively. If you have either of Codes 263 & 264 the troubleshooting would be done using a procedure similar to the ones I sent you already. This does does not require the use of Cat ET, only a digital multimeter. I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you referring to troubleshooting/testing/adjusting the hydraulic system for the Hystat or the Electronic system that controls it..?
Hi Nige, We have some GOOD NEWS today! We called our local CAT Dealer (Quinn) and had him send some-one out with the Laptop and the ET Software!! Definite Progress has been made on the System! ( I'm happy to report!) I want to: THANK-YOU (nige) for all your Help and Support! you have made a HUGE difference in Helping us get this D5G underway! The Tech from CAT performed two KEY Calibrations: 1. He performed a CAL on our New Joystick (which was not orientated right!) I removed the Joystick and Orientated in properly in its box. After that, he performed the Full CAL on the joystick using the ET Software! 2. He performed a CAL on the DECEL Pedal Sensor! That was all out of whack! The CAL helped a lot in that arena! Additionally, he ran a full set of Diagnostics on our CAT D5G ! he turned up two Active Codes! 1. Code: 168 --- CID0110 -- Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor 2. Code: 178 --- CID0617 -- Relay ( Intake Air Heater) We NOW have TRACK Movement on both the: LEFT and Right Tracks! This is simply Huge! Again, thanks Nige for ALL your Help! I will be sending you a picture -- once we move it out in the yard! Can you please send the troubleshooting procedures for these TWO Codes? Regards, J. j.
Hello Nige, I am still having issues with the D8R bulldozer. It is still bringing out very thick black smokes which gets worse when the machine makes a bend or is pushing some load.
hi darntito, I started this THREAD over a issue with my: D5G -- Dozer ..... I'm not quite sure WHY you Posted on my Thread?? Please Post on your on thread. Thank you! -- Perhaps this was a mistake? -- J.
Jim, I just sent you the procedures.
sorry jimbo. it was a mistake
Hi Nige, Thanks for all the Posts you have put up concerning my CAT D5G. We basically have a working machine, but, there is a lingering issue I need a little help with. Initially, there were FOUR Diag. Codes that were causing issues WHEN we tried to bring this Dozer UP --- THE LIST: 1. Code 254 (CID 1693) --- Position Sensor (Decel Pedal) 2. Code 255 ( CID 1699) --- Position Sensor (FWD, NEU. REV) 3. Code 168 ( CID 0110) ---- Engine Coolant Temp Sensor 4. Code 178 ( CID 0617) ---- Relay (Intake Air heater ) On OR about: 10-30-15 ALL Codes had been addressed and we WERE getting a Diag code of: 222. All systems in the Green!!!! ALL codes had been addressed and things were looking pretty good! THEN, one of our Mechanics bumped/adjusted/moved the Decel Pedal Sensor. whamo! The machine in just a few moments registered a fault and CODE 254 reared its ugly head ! Our d5g WAS Once again, DOWN. I was not exactly a happy camper....... Did I mention that this D5G was completely -- disassembled and then Re-assembled? It most certainly was! -- My Boss decided in his infinite wisdom to: REMOVE the Decel Pedal ALL together from this Dozer! I -- inquired: WHY? His response: It is NOT needed in this application. ( machine moves relatively slowly in our application -- maybe 2 or 3 MPH. ) All that being true, we still HAVE a system with NO DECEL Pedal or Decel Pedal Cable! When the CAT tech came out and: CAL'ed the Joystick and the Decel Sensor, we simply put a screw thru the ARM of the Sensor and locked it down when we hit the : Sweet spot. Unfortunately, IF this Adjustment gets bumped or Moved in ANY way ----- DOWN goes the Machine!! Can you make an: Observation OR an SUGGESTION as to what we might do in this CASE??? CAN we LOCK down the Adjustment ? Should we put the Decel Pedal back on the machine? We NEED a : stable, reliable machine in the FIELD! -- J. Thanks --- in advance! Help.
Simple solution - re-fit the Decel pedal and correctly calibrate the sensor. The "solution" of not having a decel pedal didn't last long did it, so why screw with something that works..? Put the pedal back where it should be and have a working sensor on it - end of story. If you want a "stable, reliable machine" (your words) then set the machine up the way the manufacturer intended. Oh, and tell your boss from me he's a d1ckhead .......!!
Hi Nige, Thanks for the Info on the Decel Pedal Issue. Your INFO was insightful, pertinent, and 100 % on the money! We DID follow your advice and re-installed the Decel pedal and had a Cat tech out to adjust and Calibrate the decel pedal! Thanks! This action of installing the Decel pedal and Calibrating it has solved this issue! We are rapidly approaching the point where we will deliver this dozer to our customer. Yesterday, the dozer was Actually driven in our yard for the First time ---- since the re-assembly was completed! This represents a milestone in the completion of this project. I had a few questions ---- regarding the HYSTAT System and this business of the Diag. Codes. I have learned a great deal about this D5G and would like to continue to expand on my understanding of this d5g. It would seem that there is a LEVEL of importance on these Diag Codes ? By this I mean some of the Diag Codes are SHOW Stoppers and some of them are not. Examples: 1. The Decel Pedal (code 254) and the joystick (code 255) were BOTH "show stoppers" No Track movement. and- 2. The Engine Temp Coolant sensor (code 168) and Relay AIH (code 178) were not show stoppers! Which are the MOST important Diag codes in terms of track movement?? I guess I'm after the HYSTAT Codes which will STOP all Track movement? Also, If my machine were to display a Diag Code of 273 --- proportional SOL. (right drive motor) What would be the Procedures for Troubleshooting this Code? I do believe I did see this Code the other day. Would this code be a show stopper? Also, I Still have a warning light on my 6 panel LED display. The LED that is lit is the: Exclamation Mark (!) inside a wheel! How would I approach this problem? Finally, I believe I did mention in a previous post I would be Interested in the proper Procedures for: Troubleshooting/ Testing / Adjusting the Hydraulic System for the HYSTAT... Do you have these relevant procedures -- and Can they be sent out to me?? I would certainly be most thankful. Thanks again, for all your insightful, helpful, and informative Posts! --- J.
Generally the Monitor System that records and displays Diagnostic Codes has 3 levels: - Level 1 - information only. No action required - only shows on Monitor Panel Level 2 - modify the way the machine is being operated - warning indication plus flashing Master Fault Light Level 3 - stop the machine right now - warning indication plus flashing Master Fault Light plus Audible Alarm. Diagnostic Code 273 (CID 1708) is not a calibration issue. The 3 possible FMIs for this Code are 03, 05, & 06 (similar to CID 1703/1704 - see post #21 above). I will send you all three. I'll also send you the T&A for the hydraulic side of the Hystat system.
They are one and the same thing. The 273 Code is only Level 2 therefore it doesn't stop the machine moving and you don't get the audible alarm but you do get the Hystat Fault warning light. I already sent you the Troubleshooting procedure.
hi nige, Thanks for all the inputs and the Test and Troubleshooting procedures. The machine is running ---- but I'm still getting the 273 code. But, since it is a Level 2 alarm, I can still move the machine. I may have to have the CAT Tech out with his Lap top and software to TELL ME what exactly is the failure mode on the 273 Code.? I have tried: Re-seating ALL the connectors and cleaning the contacts in the connectors that have to do with this Sol. drive. I'm not sure IF it is a: Low Current situation or perhaps a bad solenoid? I did: OHM out the Solenoid in question and measured right at: 5 ohms. Are there ANY other things I might try??? Additionally, I have been wrestling with the Max Speed Gage -- it is reading about 2 mph when the machine is stationary!? Suspect a possible hook-up issue as the culprit. Does not the gage run on the + 10 Volt reference from the ECM? The schematic I have looks a little weird --- can you send me a clean copy of the schematic for the max speed gage hook-up? with special note to return and ground for this gage? Thanks for all the insightful posts, thoughts, observations, and test procedures.... I have dropped you an email -- with an attachment showing my present DASH configuration..... IF you can give me any more suggestions on the ---- 273 code situation -- I would greatly appreciate it. It is currently my # 1 issue. I'm trying to locate a lap top with the ET software... The reading of the DIAG Codes with the Fault lamp is OK -- but has it's limitations... I'm concerned with the 273 code -- and would like to solve this problem.... J.
I have a question for you nige. How do you email sections from sis. Only thing I can figure out how to send is the wire schematics.
Hi Nige, I wanted to THANK YOU for all your Insightful Posts in HELPING me with the numerous ISSUES we had in bringing UP this CAT D5G. We are preparing to deliver the Machine to our Customer! In the final application this Modified Dozer will Operate in --- It will be used to Harvest Crops. Just a side note. The right motor solenoid code (273) was a -6 code. Since time was an Issue on our delivery to the customer -- we had our friendly CAT Tech come by with his Lap top and the ET Software ( we are in the process of getting our own copy!) The Cat Tech suggested we OHM out the wires (C958 + H802) wires that bring power to the solenoid in the case. BOTH wires OHM'ed out -- OK. He then suggested we check the Resistance on BOTH Solenoids (right and left) -- We checked both right and left solenoids and found them to be: 4.7 and 4.8 ohms. The Cat Book says they should read less than 5 ohms. After all this -- we put it ALL back together --- cleared the logged Diag. Codes -- and the tractor ran like a champ. Perhaps we had a bad electrical connection ? I then checked the Diag Code with the Fault lamp (procedure you sent!) and got a: 2 - 2 - 2 !!! I also had the Cat Tech check our Total Hours --- they came in at: 9,026 Hours. Is this considered a LOW or a High number of hours on a Cat D5g?? We still have two relatively minor problems left... I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on these two pesky problems. I mentioned to you in a previous Post that the Max speed indicator is reading 2Mph while the tractor is stationary. I checked the + 10VDC signal that comes from the ECM to this meter and it is Present on the orange wire. The SEND wire has about : 5.5VDC on it --- and you are correct -- IF I disconnect the SEND wire the gage goes to 0 mph!!! For some reason, the ECM is sending a 5.vdc signal to the gage. The ground (200) wire is hooked up and additionally there is a ECM return hooked to this meter as well (j764). It is a little bit confusing --- which is the Return for this meter: the black wire (200) OR the ECM return (J764) ?? THE meter has both wires hooked to it. I would have assumed it is the ECM Return -- since the +10 vdc signal comes from the ECM?? Can you clarify which is the return? Also, the darn L3 indicator on the LED panel is illuminated all the time! This is the ! mark inside a wheel. I can not seem to make this LED go out. I believe the signal that drives this LED originates with the ECM (J2-9) I'm starting to wonder about my ECM ( 8 years old ) as both my problems originate with the ECM!! Everything else seems to function OK. The tractor starts OK and I have full Joystick Control. Thus, my two remaining issues are: 1. Max speed Indicator -- minor issue 2. L3 illuminated all the time -- but, NO Active Diag. Codes! -- Very curious.... --------- J.
Firstly it's nice to hear things are heading in the right direction.......... You have proved that the speed gauge is OK by disconnecting 899 Blue signal wire and it goes to zero. The ECM ground wire J764 Brown is for the panel lighting inside the gauge so you can forget that as a cause of your problem or at least I think you can. The ECM sends a signal to the speed gauge based on input received from the LH & RH track speed sensors so if it was me and despite the fact that they are not registering Diagnostic Codes I would go looking at the 2 speed sensors and see what signals (if any) they are generating when the tractor is not moving. Also check the wiring for the speed sensors, maybe even try disconnecting the 2 signal wires from each sensor to see what happens to the speed gauge. Those wires come into the ECM J2 connector pins 40 thru 43. Regarding your illuminated Hystat Fault Indicator along with a 222 which indicates no Diagnostic Codes I suspect that this problem and the problem above could be linked. The reason for that is that the list of Diagnostic Codes for the Hystat that you can access using the Monitor is not AFAIK the full list of Codes. Therefore it might on the face of it be possible to have the indicator lit yet monitor shows no Codes. On his most recent visit did your Cat tech check with ET that there were no Codes AT ALL on the machine, not just no Codes from the Hystat system..? I didn't think of this before but maybe now's the time to suggest checking the software Part Number in the ECM and updating it to the latest P/N available. There have been a few updates since your machine was built. Sometimes in the case of problems such as this one it fixes outstanding issues. Regarding your question about if the ECM could be bad it is always a possibility but TBH it's usually the last thing to replace because it's so expensive. So I would do the checking suggested above plus update the software first and see what result you get before spending a large amount on a replacement ECM only to find you still have a problem. Edit: just looking again at the Schematic something is weird. The incoming power wire to the panel lights for the speed gauge (and every other instrument on the panel) is 614 Purple. All other panel lights EXCEPT the one in the Speed Gauge are connected to machine ground via 200 Black, so why should the Speed Gauge be any different..? Try disconnecting 764 Brown from the Speed Gauge and instead connect a wire to machine frame ground and see what happens before doing anything else.
Be aware that in 2011 there were improved track speed sensors made available, according to the publication "The improved speed sensor group is more compatible with the G-series Track-Type Tractors." Your machine probably still has the original 183-4584 sensor installed, that P/N was replaced by 360-0453. Additionally why not remove the speed sensors and take a look if the sensor tips are damaged or contaminated. If they are and the result is an apparent "genuine" ground speed signal to the ECM that could explain your speed gauge reading when the tractor is not moving. As above I'd start by disconnecting the 2 speed signal wires from each sensor and see what happens to the speed gauge reading.
Jimbo. There's lots of information and questions in your posts but can I respectfully suggest you try breaking up your wall of text into paragraphs? It's very hard to read and understand. Regarding your question about seeing +5.5V at the signal wire. What you are seeing is pull up voltage. Electronics (as opposed to electrics) actually see things in three states, viz. high, low or floating. High and low are good and the circuit can use them. Floating is when a circuit is neither +ve nor ground, but it will still generate micro voltages and confuse the software. To fix this the ECM sends 5.5V to the signal wire through what's known as a pull up resistor. This means that when the signal wire is open circuit the ECM sees 5.5v. When the signal wire is grounded, it defeats the pull up resistor and the ECM sees 0v, never anything in between. By the way, I'm just a diesel fitter so if anyone more clued in with electronics wants to contradict me on any of this then that's fine.
Cmark, Sounds right to me. Some control units use pull up, some pull down to sensor ground, just depends on the sensor output.
I never ceases to amaze me the knowledge that you guys have. I guess the days of taking a screw driver and jumping the starter are out the window. As I have said in other posts , it no telling how much money this forum has saved people. I know I need all the help I can get at times.
You know, that's still a legitimate test in the right circumstances. You just have to know when to do it so you don't make things worse. (Or kill yourself)
Or hit it with a hammer. My wifes truck had a starter issue and I was miles away onsite. Acted like I was crazy when I told her to hit it. Sometimes hitting it with a hammer is a very technical diagnostic test. Sometimes your just and idiot banging on things. It is a very fine line we walk!
hi: Caterpillarmech and Cmark, Thanks guys for the insightful posts concerning my Cat D5G! -- AND I have seen the : HIT-THE-STARTER-WITH-A-HAMMER electrical test work wonders on JEEP Starters!! It really works!! CMARK : I will make an effort to break things up a little and thanks for the input on the pull-up resistor issue, it was a bit confusing on why I was seeing this + 5.5vdc signal on the send line for the max speed gauge! I have been wrestling with this tractor for a few months now as we attempt to iron out the bugs and get everything working normally.... I'm getting ready to do another Post on the current status of my tractor .... Nige -- thanks for the Input on the improved sensors!! ---- J.
Hi Nige, Well we have been making steady progress on this D5G tractor that has been transformed into a piece of "farm equipment". We completely dis-assembled the tractor (down to engine and case) and then reassembled the entire "new" machine. This process has consumed some 8 months from start to finish! Nige -- On the last visit by our friendly Cat tech we saw two logged codes: 1. 1708-6 --- Right motor sol. 2. 1702-2 --- Decel out of range What exactly does the number 2 diag code mean? (1702-2) BTW -- We DID re-install the decal pedal and CAL it. (CAT TECH did this) But, we only installed the Decel pedal itself, the decel pedal cable is still not on the tractor. Could this cause ANY problems?? comment? Our primary Issues now are with the -- Max speed gauge and the HYSTAT warning on the LED panel always being illuminated. As I stated -- the Send line has a: 5.5VDC signal on it even when the tractor is stationary. The wiring seems to be OK -- between the ECM and the Track speed sensor. I would think that we MAY have a faulty track speed sensor? --- BTW, Nige, WHAT would the signals from the sensor LOOK LIKE ? Would they be a DC ( steady state voltage -- see with DVM) or would they be an AC signal ?? When the tractor is STATIONARY -- what should the outputs from the sensors look like electrically?? 0 VDC? We probably have the OLD type sensors installed. We drove the tractor today --- and it drove erratically. My boss (aka: DH) reports that the tractor would not move at low Idle speed, the tractor would stall. IF he raised the engine speed to HIGH Idle -- it would crawl slowly ahead. (SLOW) Could this problem be related to the Issues I have been seeing??? I noticed the FUEL tank was nearly empty when he drove the tractor --- would it not be something if LOW FUEL state caused this issue?? I'm going to suggest he put 10 Gals. of diesel in the tractor prior to next test drive... Possible bad track speed sensor? One of our mechanics reported that he thought there may be a bad sensor (track speed) on the case.... Thus, our two primary issues are: The max speed gauge reading like "2" when stationary and the action alarm ( ! in wheel) always lit. My boss reported that he could get the gauge to move by depressing either the: turtle or the rabbit button on the Joystick handle! Do these switches (rabbit-accel, turtle-decel) ON THE Joystick handle have a DIRECT effect on the max speed gauge? Preset the speed you want the tractor to go?? I'm not clear on whether this is a normal thing?? As we are close to shipping this tractor to our customer -- I'm trying to get all these Issues straightened out... Can we disconnect the track speed sensors one at a time -- and observe the effect on the max speed gauge? Nige: Thanks for all the help!! --- This has been a FUN one! ----- J.
The "-2" relates to the Failure Mode of the sensor (refer to my earlier posts). In this case it means that the data coming from the sensor is erratic, intermittent, or incorrect. I have emailed you the Troubleshooting procedure. "-6" for the right motor solenoid indicates that the current in the circuit is above normal. I personally can't see how the tractor will move in a controllable manner without the decel cable connected so that the drive system will operate as designed. In turtle mode the engine is at idling speed, this engine speed is not designed to move the tractor . Even though the tractor might move against no or very little resistance it's not designed to work that way and certainly would not move on any sort of uphill slope at that engine RPM. The way the tractor should be run is to use rabbit mode which puts the engine at full RPM, then you control the required engine RPM with the decel pedal in order to obtain the ground speed you want. The clue is in the name - "decelerator" ......
Cmark, It is a: D5G ---- S/N: RKG02463 ECM S/N: 31356318JT S/W Group DESC: STTHYSTAT
The sensors are PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) they put out a square wave the width of which varies according to the function the sensor is reading, in this case speed. You can't read them with a DVM. The only difference between the old & new sensors is that the new ones are more reliable. Try installing the new Part Numbers by all means but I don't think it will fix your problem. Did you try what I suggested a few posts back and disconnect the track speed sensor inputs (4 wires, 2 from each sensor) into the ECM..? TBH I'm not surprised it doesn't move right bearing in mind the uncorrected problems still existing with it, plus the fact that the conversion has been going on for 8 months. Fill the tank with fuel, change the secondary fuel filters, drain the water separator and the tank of all the gunk that's accumulated during the time the tractor has been standing, connect the decelerator cable, etc, etc. Oh, and find/fix the problem with the speed sensors while you're at it. No. I think in your attempt to "simplify" the electrics you have introduced a number of faults directly as a result of your actions. Not knowing exactly what has been done (for example, how much of the wiring is original Caterpillar?) makes it hard to suggest anything. Not to put too fine a point on it but if I was your customer and you delivered it to me like that I'd just turn the lowboy round and send it staight back without even unloading it....... I would start by disconnecting them both (4 signal wires at the ECM) and see what happens - see above.
Also I forgot to suggest to remove the track speed sensors and check that the sensor tips are completely clean and free from any contamination. Dirt on the end of the sensor can give rise to all sorts of iffy speed readings.
I don't know from nuttin' about this machine, but would not a "Max speed gauge" be showing the upper limit of speed available, and not actual track speed? Thus the movement of the indicator when adjusting speed from the joystick buttons? Just guessin'....
Don, you're right. There are 2 turtle & 2 rabbit controls on this tractor. What clown came up with that idea..? I'm kicking myself for not spotting this sooner. One is the "usual" Low Idle/High Idle positions to control the throttle. The other one is the control for low, medium, & high ground speed. The switch that controls it is on the transmssion/direction control joystick. The default is "1" (low) and you press the RH side of the switch to increase the maximum ground speed through positions 2 (medium) & 3 (high). Pressing the LH side of the switch reduces the "gear" by 1. The gauge indicates 1, 2, or 3 depending on what "gear" the operator selects. If the gauge won't move from position "2" then something is wrong with the control system.
hi Nige, Thanks very much --- for all the insightful Posts you have come up with in regards to my: D5G! -- I, too, am kicking myself for not seeing some of the things you have mentioned in these last few Posts. I believe what you are telling me is this: 1. Re-install the Decel Pedal cable and have it Cal'ed. (control of tractor) 2. Might be a GOOD idea to replace the Track Speed Sensors (new type) 3. Replace ALL fuel filters in the fuel supply line (just to be safe) Nige, We did install a new fuel tank in the system as part of the conversion. Again, I want to thank you for all the great posts you have come up with! I believe IF we do all of the items you mentioned ( especially Item # 1 ) we will be going in the right direction and gaining control of this tractor. ALL of the symptoms we are currently seeing --- fit the known facts.... The Decel Pedal cable is the # 1 issue with the ground speed control issue -- correct?? We will then replace both track speed sensors ( that are PWM controlled ) these signals could only be seen with a oscilloscope..... The turtle/rabbit buttons on the joystick handle do seem to work ... There are three "gears" : "1' , "2" and "3" ---- correct? WE MUST replace the decel pedal cable assy first ..... and cal it. Thanks again, J
Jim, maybe this will explain it. The text also says .......... "Note: When switch (4H) is pushed one time, the speed setting will change by one. If switch (4H) is held down, the speed setting will change rapidly." Does this system actually work on your machine..? in other words can you make the numbers on the Max Speed Gauge change from 1->2->3 and back again by pressing the LH or RH side of switch 4H. Regarding your decel cable if it was my machine it would be on there and working correctly. I fail to see how the machine can work without it.
Hi Nige, thanks for the Inputs! As regards to the rabbit and turtle switches, Yes, I Believe the switches function normally. I will double check this. I have made the required moves -- to install the DECEL CABLE ASSY back on the Tractor.. We will Order it, Install it, and CAL the Cable per the CAT Procedure. -- Thx. for the INFO! --- J.
Hi Nige, Well there is news on our CAT D5G. Our Tractor has been delivered to our customer! (About 200 miles to the north) I made the trip on Friday to the customer site and worked on the tractor. There was some clean-up work to be done and my boss asked me to troubleshoot the L3 Action Alarm that is always illuminated. I removed the LED panel assembly from the dash and had a look at it. I powered UP the assy. with a 12 vdc power supply. After running a few tests on the LED panel assy. it became apparent WHY the L3 LED is always illuminated ---- we have a BAD PCB ASSY! A new LED panel has been ordered from CAT. ( it will be replaced ) This should take care of this problem. After we accomplished the few clean-up tasks that were on the " to-do" list -- my boss wanted to drive the tractor! great idea!! I was on hand to observe and take any pertinent notes that I felt were necessary... We fired up the D5G and let it warm-up for a little period of time. All readings on the dash were nominal and all -- seemed OK. Then the "fun" began... He tried to drive the tractor Forward and in reverse. The tractor behaved exactly the same as it did on the day we loaded it and had it delivered to our customer. (who was not happy that we made a LATE delivery!) In any event, I observed as the tractor "hesitated" and did NOT want to move in either the FWD or the REV. direction!! It would move SLOWLY and some what erratically ---- and it seemed like -- something was HOLDING it back! ( parking brake?, low hyd pressure?, elect. signals to solenoids?) Something did NOT seem to be functioning correctly! Then, the FAULT Lamp came ON and the ECM threw out some Codes! AND it was not JUST one code -- it was multiple codes! Yikes! We tried to drive it TWICE and both times we had the same results... Multiple codes. We now have a lap-top with the ET software so that we can see the Codes: The codes we saw ---- were as follows: 1. E483 (3) ---- Unexpected Right Track FWD. movement (sensor -- track spd?) 2. E485 (3) ---- Unexpected Right Track REV movement (sensor -- track spd?) 3. 70-2 ---- Parking Brake Switch (erratic) (parking brake switch?) 4. 1702-2 --- Machine DECEL Switch loss of signal ( Decel Pedal CAL.???) 5. Code 244 --- rocker switch (park brake) ( switch - Park brake) 6. Code 166 --- Fuel shut-off valve. ( low current, solenoid?) That was a bunch of codes! yikes! -- What to do? Call for HELP? I had a LOT of INFO coming in -- and a hard time deciding how to react to this mess... What on earth could be causing this scenario?? We shut it down for about 10 minutes. Then we turned the key to the ON position and I cleared out ALL the Diagnostic Codes that were in the ECM. I was under the impression that we could ONLY clear OLD Logged diag. codes? I understood that ACTIVE Codes -- could not be cleared ? Is this true? Just curious. In any event, after clearing out all the logged diag. codes, we started the tractor and it ran just fine! I was stunned. I was amazed. I simply could NOT believe that this had happened. We ran it for about 30 mins. -- and the tractor functioned normally! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? Nige, we have NOT yet installed the Decel pedal cable on the tractor ( I have strongly suggested we DO THIS!) But, my boss (aka: dh) does not seem to think it is necessary. We have also purchased a track speed sensor from CAT -- BUT the wire colors on the NEW sensor do NOT match the schematic we have! Can you define the wire colors on the New sensor ? (colors are: blue, black, brown + white) Do not match schematic. I suggested we call CAT --- and have a Cat Tech come out and check-out our tractor and give it a clean bill of health! I believe the wiring on the tractor to be correct. All wiring has been checked with an; ohmmeter. My Boss wants to give the tractor to the customer Monday and let them run it!! He believes that the Hyd Oil had to warm-up, or that due to the 8 month length of the project the tractor just needed to be "RUN" to get all parts broken-in?? I'm not sure that this is the case.... He claims to have 50 years of CAT experience and knows these system(S) INSIDE AND OUT... I tend to err on the side of a more cautious approach. This is actually my first CAT tractor I have worked on -- and I feel I have a lot to learn.... I'm having a HARD time just coming to grips with the sequence of events I observed on Friday! I can NOT believe the system (D5G) -- modified --- reacted in the manner it did. Please recall that we took this system COMPLETELY apart and then reassembled the tractor. What could possibly CAUSE this chain of events?? Comments??? J.
nige, BTW, you were right on the money on the -- max speed indicator and the: 1 -- 2 -- 3 speeds that can be selected with the "turtle" and the "rabbit" switches on the joystick handle! The Max speed Indicator does seem to function normally on our tractor. I can press the Rabbit button --and watch the max speed indicator go from: 1 to 2 to 3. also, I can depress the turtle switch and watch the max speed indicator go from: 3 to 2 to 1.... Both switches seem to function normally on our tractor. I believe the joystick is wired-up correctly. J.
Sounds to me like you have a wiring issue or faulty switch or relay somewhere causing low voltage?
Back to my question in Post #46. How much of the actual wiring installed in the tractor right now is original Caterpillar and how much is replacement wiring that your company has fabricated and installed..?
Hi Lantraxco, Thanks for the Input on my Thread concerning our D5G. I believe all of the -- relays (main power, Lift pump, and Motor start) to be functional. The tractor starts fine and the engine runs OK. The wiring COULD be an Issue as I basically re-wired the entire tractor.... This machine is basically a D5G (CAT) which has been modified for a specific application..... thanks for the input!! Any other inputs you may have -- would be appreciated.... J.
Hi Nige, Thanks for all the Insightful posts concerning our D5G! --- The question has been asked about WHAT wiring on our machine is CAT and what wiring has been Fabricated by our Company (me). I will attempt to Clarify this Issue. When we initially designed this "machine" -- a decision was made to UTILIZE all the CAT WIRING we possibly could -- and simply EXTEND the wiring A/R to reach all points on the tractor/machine. Please note the tractor/machine was "extended" approx. 15 feet from the original CAT design -- this was necessary to satisfy our customers requirements. This extension introduced a whole host of problems. Thus, all Original Deutsch Connectors and all original CAT wiring was utilized as much as possible. Generally speaking, when a connector/harness was ID'ed as Required for the tractor to function, I would install the harness/conn. on the tractor and EXTEND the wiring by Hand soldering a new wire onto the existing CAT wiring. ALL wiring was ID'ed with the CAT Wiring number and a number was installed on the wire per the CAT schematic. Thus, CAT wire number # 308-C158-YL-18 was ID'ed with # 308 and tagged for hook-up to: J1-1. (key sw. run) After the wire was installed, ALL wires were OHM'ed out with a DVM and a check mark went in the log book. I spent a great deal of time executing this wiring strategy to INSURE ALL wires were properly hooked-up. I have used this procedure in the past with success. I have a number of years of experience in the Electronics Industry and have wired large, complex Electro-Mechanical systems in the past. To be honest, this is my first tractor (CAT) . But, the bottom line is this: Did I wire the tractor up CORRECTLY? I believe -- I did. But, it never hurts to double check! Nige, these wiring harness/connectors were INSTALLED on the D5G/Machine: 1. Conn. # 9 ----- Left Motor Sol. (case) 2. Conn. # 10 ---- Primary Case Control (case) 3. Conn. # 21 -- Service Conn. (Lap-top conn.) 4. Conn. # 22 --- Harness Code Conn. ( diag. conn + Machine ID) 5. Conn # 25 --- Ctr. Brk. Pedal Sw. ( brake and decel pedal ) 6. Conn. # 26 --- 31 pin Conn. ( dash wiring - all CAT wires) 7. Conn. # 32 --- Start sol. ( white starter sol - Cat wire) 8. Conn. # 33 --- ALT. - charge ( red Alt. charge Batt. wire) 9. Conn. # 34 --- 12 pin Engine wires ( eng. wires - 11 wires in 12 pins) 10. Conn. # 35 --- 12 pin Engine wires (eng wires - 12 wires + 12 pins) ALL other conns. and wiring were discarded as non-essential. Our design reqs. were for a tractor/machine that would: Start, Run, and move FWD + REV. Period. ONLY essential wiring for the above functions were installed. This, in a way, simplified the wiring requirements. But, it was NECESSARY to Insure that ALL wiring on the tractor was installed to the proper points.... I believe I did accomplish that goal. ALL wires were ID'ed and marked and OHM'ed out. I believe in light of recent events -- I witnessed on Friday -- while the D5G was being run, we should do the following: 1. Install the Decel Pedal cable on the tractor (onto the decel pedal) 2. CAL both the Joystick and the Decel pedal with the CAT ET software (again) 3. Verify proper operation of BOTH the Left and Right Track speed sensors (scope) 4. Install new LED panel and verify proper operation 5. Verify water dumped from water separator and NEW secondary fuel filter installed 6. Verify ALL critical HYSTAT wiring on tractor ( Left and right pumps + LT./RT. Mot. sols) 7. Replace Parking Brake switch near joystick ( verify wiring after install) 8. Have CAT TECH go over the tractor and verify ALL functions as normal Drive the tractor for 30 minutes to 1 hour and verify normal operation. I believe that should cover all the bases. I invite comments/suggestions?? J.
If you extended any of the data link wires, did you use a twisted pair? I'm not sure what the consequences of not using a twisted pair are, but Cat are pretty insistent on the issue.
Hi Cmark. thanks for the Input on this thread concerning our D5G. And, yes, ALL Data link wires were extended as: twisted pairs. i.e. --- the engine speed wires (450 and 451) were extended as a twisted pair. It is always a good Idea to follow CAT's design approach with data link wires --- this reduces the amount of noise that could be picked up on these critical wires... J.
Hi Nige, I hope my Post @ 7:49 yesterday answered your question concerning the wiring on our D5G. ? As the Tractor is NOW deployed in the FIELD, I'm simply trying to sort thru the remaining issues and resolve things to a degree where we have a fairly reliable Tractor in operation ... We, as a company, prefer to have our equipment in an: UP Status as opposed to being: Down! This was a long, detailed, and complex project to build. I would like to --- thank you (here in a public forum) for ALL your Posts and the Help you have rendered our company in getting this beast to the point it currently is at! Thanks -- Nige! --- J.
Hi Jimbo, Could you solve the problem with the machine? I have a D5G that is not having any movement although that it is not presenting any code. I was checking the parking break solenoid which is receiving 12 volts and the override solenoid which is receiving just 4.8 v, do you think this could be the problem or is this voltage correct! First time using this forum, not know if it is the correct way. Thanks