Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5G Quick Question

Ncjetskier · 2024-01-21 08:15

This is probably a stupid question. On my Caterpiller D5G LGP, the dash has a guage that indicates tract tension (at least that is what I think it is). The guage goes from 1 - 3 and has a green swish mark behind the numbers. The green mark is thick on the number 3 and thin at the number 1. The guage recently dropped from the middle indicator (2) to 1 and now moves forward and reverse more slowly. Does this indicate the tract tension is too tight or too loose? The tract sag is not loose, however the temperatures are cold and the dirt on the tracts is frozen. Thanks for any help!

Replies18
  1. #1Vetech632024-01-21 08:22

    A pic of the gauge would help. It sounds like a range indicator for the speed control.

  2. #2Ncjetskier2024-01-21 08:33

    Center top guage - THANKS

  3. #3Nige2024-01-21 12:25

    Confirmed from the photo. An Operation & Maintenance Manual would be of benefit in these circumstances, doubly so if you do your own maintenance. Downloadable from Cat for around $50. From memory your tractor is an RKG-prefix.

  4. #4Rustyshacklford2024-01-21 20:31

    It’s been a while since I was on a G but if I remember that since the tractor is hydrostatic there are no gears so that was more like a reference to gears/speed.

  5. #5CM19952024-01-21 20:50

    That gauge shows your track speed. It has nothing to do with track tension. When was the last time the tractor was calibrated?

  6. #6reganj2024-01-21 22:38

    Please read over thread entitled Question regarding 2006 D3G LGP It is several threads below yours and Nige is very knowledgeable and helpful also. If you decide to get the manual Nige has suggested, I will pay half if it can be shared since I think it also covers my dozer also. Thank You

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-01-21 22:47

    You have a 2006 Cat worth $$$$$ and want to share a $50 operators manual. Can you afford to put fuel in it?

  8. #8reganj2024-01-22 00:08

    Simple answer to simple question, Yes. Thank You for the question. Do you have anymore???

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-01-22 00:26

    Just curious why you wouldn't want your own manual? It's not expensive and would be readily available if you had any questions with operation or basic maintenance.

  10. #10reganj2024-01-22 19:07

    If I and another person can cut the cost on I assume to be a non paper manual that can be shared lowering the cost then I do not mind saving money. If I would not get into any trouble, I would post it on the board if I can figure out how to so everyone could access it. If it is a paper manual then it can not be shared. I assume that a pdf or CD manual can be shared legally. I am not a young man and technology is something I was not brought up with. When I graduated, the private school I attended did not have computers and MY opinion is that this is one of the problems with this world today. Everything is to easy or No one wants to work for anything, they want it RIGHT NOW. The other is some parents do not raise their children to be good people. Let the hailstorm begin on MY PERSONAL OPINIONS!!!! Thank You. Admins, If I posted something inappropiate, please remove.

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-01-22 19:58

    A paper manual isn't expensive either and good to have. I can understand trying to save money but on a manual that's about the same price as a couple jerry cans of diesel? Generally equipment owners try to save on major repairs or components like undercarriage. If they don't use a machine 2500 hours or more a year maybe they don't need the most expensive or heavy dutiest undercarriage. There a lot of people looking for manuals for older equipment. Having a manual(s) can help when selling a machine too.

  12. #12CM19952024-01-22 20:01

    How about we just let the manual debate go? I am not sure the copyright issues with posting a PDF manual and honestly not going to spend the time to research it. However a link or a post is easily removed. Carry on.

  13. #13reganj2024-01-22 20:57

    Sounds like a good plan to me CM1995. I very much appreciate this site and hopefully I can be helpful to someone one day when I have some good knowledge. Thank You.

  14. #14Nige2024-01-24 16:10

    Can I point out that in general a pdf version of any O&M Manual is too large to post on the forum as an attachment (it's larger than 10Mb in other words), therefore any sharing would have to be done offline either via email or a filie sharing application such as Dropbox. I would suggest that gets around any intellectual property issues quite nicely. Also FWIW we could just as easily be discussing a Service Manual costing somewhere approaching 4-figures rather than an O&M priced at $50. Sharing the cost of something like that would make perfect sense to those involved.

  15. #15Ncjetskier2024-01-29 20:45

    Ok, just purchased and downloaded the manual. Not much help except to confirm that the guage is the speed. My problem is, the machine (under a heavy load) will switch speeds on its own. For instance, if I am pushing heavy wet clay dirt, the machine will automatically change from speed setting #2 to speed #1 (much slower). After reading all 114 pages of the operator's manual, it did not state anything more than the speed button on the joystick. Is this normal?

  16. #16Welder Dave2024-01-29 21:05

    That's sounds like a good thing to have as it automatically adjusts the trans. to the load.

  17. #17CM19952024-01-30 09:22

    Sounds like it's time to calibrate. My D5G is sitting on the tag trailer waiting to go to the Cat house for the same thing.

  18. #18reganj2024-02-05 20:45

    I was playing on my D3G LGP the other day and tried to uproot a stump. My trans speed did not reduce and the tracks were still pulling with no forward movement. I was roughly in 1.5 and low engine speed. Hopefully this is helpful to Ncjetskier