Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8H. Starting engine switch

The old Cat man · 2024-01-20 16:44

Hello everyone. I’m currently trying to rebuild an antique Caterpillar Fifteen. The switch for the magneto to ground on the dash has been replaced by a toggle switch and I remember on the old D8H. 46A sn. Also just about any machine with a starting engine like the D7E had the same switch. That the switch for the starting engine should be exactly what I need. Unfortunately the dealers don’t have the info on these old tractors anymore and I’m wondering if anyone in this group that has a parts book of these old machines, might have the part number of the on/off switch for the starting engine. If I remember correctly it only had 1 terminal on the switch and it grounded to the dash ground in the off position. It was a rotary switch with 2 mounting screws on the outside edges, looked like a miniature start switch. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies5
  1. #1James Sorochan2024-01-20 20:51

    There maybe someone here that can answer your question, not sure. Have you considered joining ACMOC ( Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club). There are some very knowledgable guys there.

  2. #2Simon C2024-01-20 21:14

    If you can find the serial number, post it in case there was differences in machines. Someone probably has the info you are after. Simon C

  3. #3grandpa2024-01-20 21:28

    The old 7t and 8t motorgraders had that same switch so gives you more places to look.

  4. #4TomA2024-01-21 10:00

    Switch part# for D4 is 4F4784

  5. #5sled dog2024-01-21 11:04

    Currently 2 on ebay. Very proud of them!!!