I'm doing a little work on a D5G LGP for a guy and one of the issues he said it was having is being really sluggish and slow until after its been run for awhile. Even when it's good and warm and you let it sit for half an hour and fire it back up it will just not want to travel very well for awhile. I haven't been around these hydrostatic drives much. Is there any other screens or filters in the system besides the two spin on ones on the right side? There isn't any warning lights on. He's been running NAPA filters on it though....
The main thing I've seen with the G's is the throttle calibration. The engine and pumps have to be at the correct rpms for the ecm to read and make changes properly. The cables stretch or move and it throws it all out of wack. The problem is you need Cat ET to be able to do your calibration. I have seen this give a sluggish track response and also jerky operation.
What caterpillaremech said. Re-calibrated our D5G and it runs like a new machine. It would travel fine but when you went to make a push it would bog down under load but wouldn't speed back up when you came out of the load. A quick hit on the decel pedal and it would resume the track speed. It would also be sluggish after changing direction forward and reverse. A re-flash with the Cat ET and it's running like a champ. It was pretty neat, the Cat tech was driving the machine with his laptop.
Thanks guys I will check that out. It has 5600 hrs on it so maybe it could need calibrated.
Ours had 4500 hours when the calibration was done. Add the new pads and blade cylinder bushings we did at the same time and it was like brand new again.
hi there, We have a CAT D5G which is going thru some mods at our company. My question concerns the ECM and the ET Tech software which CAT sells. How Important is it to have a Copy of the ET software when working on a D5G? I'm a bit new at this game --- so I would like to get some advice. The ECM has two 70 pin connectors which interface the ECM with the D5G. How do you tell -- J1 from J2? If you were to power up the ECM --- + 12V to ECM with out having the ECM tied/interfaced to the machine (all of the I/O signals) would it hurt the ECM? Would you generate some diagnostic codes in the ECM --- which would need to be reset? Just a bit curious on this point. The Machine is going thru some wiring mods as we bring it up -- that is why I have an interest in how the ECM works. Any help would be appreciated. Do you recommend that Repair techs and mechanics that work on D5G's -- invest in the Cat ET software ?? Thanks a lot!
Jimbo, If you only have 1 machine then ET could work out very expensive. The software was well North of $1,000 the last time I looked, plus the Communications Adapter that is required to connect a laptop to the machine ECM is about the same price again. Also there is an annual licence fee, ET deactivates exactly 365 days after it was first activated unless the subscription is renewed. Do you have an Electrical Schematic for your D5G..? Using the wire colours and numbers from the schematic it's easy it distinguish between J1 & J2. The ECM will log a Diagnostic Code for every sensor/sender that is not connected via the machine wiring harness if you power it up with the machine harness disconnected or with the eCM off the machine. BTW the ECM needs 24V to power it up, not 12V. Just exactly what "wiring mods" are you doing ..?
Welcome to the Forums jimbo1!:drinkup What Nige said, what kind of wiring mods are you doing?
Correction - I just re-checked and the D5G is 12V electrics not 24. Apologies for any confusion.
nige, thanks for the speedy post to my addition to this thread. I appreciate your input. I just typed a response to your recent Post -- but could not post it because I was not logged in! I won't make that mistake again. As for the "wiring mods" we are doing its like this. Our company does repair and modifications to CAT machines. ( We have two -- 939's and two -- D5G's in our yard ) We have a customer who ONLY requires a "basic" flavor D5G to fill a particular need. The customer only requires that the machine: Start, run, and steer. Period. We do not require: GPS, A/C, grade control, MSS, or any AUX systems) Strange -- but that is the way it is. Yes, to answer your question, I do have an Electrical Schematic for this D5g. Could you check my S/N ? I believe it is: KRG02463. (Maybe -- krkg02463) Please let me know which is correct. Machine was recently in Florida. Also, what sensors, low battery state, parking brake status, would cause the ECM to Inhibit a Start Cycle? The Electrical Schematic shows: two 12V batteries wired in parallel. ( Negs. and Positives tied together ) Thus, it is a 12V system. ( I did get your Post where your stated it was 12V and not 24V -- thanks for the info!) To the point: Can I disconnect the AUX systems -- and still have the D5G function normally? (Include AIH?) I'm thinking the ET Software that CAT sells -- could be a valuable tool for working with this D5G!?? My schematic is for: a D5G -- WGB1 - UP or RKG1 - UP. Is this the correct schematic? Comments? Suggestions?
hello, CM1995 -- Thank you for the welcome! I Hope to become a member in good standing for this Forum. I have read the rules. How are my Posts -- so far? jimbo
Jimbo, Your machine S/N prefix looks like it is RKG, that fits with the available options for a D5G. RKG02463 left the factory in February 2006. The correct Electrical Schematic is document reference RENR7853-03, published in June 2013. If your schematic is version 01 or 02 it might pay you to update to version 03 of the document which will have all the latest upgrades on it. I can send you a copy in Adobe pdf format if you would like to PM me with your email address. I understand what the customer wants from this machine but in my experience the disconnection of pretty much any sensor on an electronically-controlled machine will cause the Monitoring System to register a Diagnostic Code irrespective of whether or not the Code actually interferes with machine operation. This results in the ECM getting full of "nuisance" Diagnostic Codes which make troubleshooting a total PITA when something actually DOES go wrong. In the past I've removed things like ether start systems an example as but in every case I had to leave the sensor(s) for the system connected to the machine wiring harness (then zip-tied somewhere up out of the way) to avoid generating unwanted Diagnostic Codes.
nige, Thanks a lot for the feedback on my issue. I will PM you my email address so that you may send me a copy of the schematic in adobe pdf format. I shall remember about the "unwanted" diagnostic codes on these machines. Have you found the ET Software to be a useful tool in troubleshooting these electronic machines? Are there any other Equivalent software tools out there -- OR is it just the one CAT sells? BTW -- as I'm a new member I'm not sure in how to PM ( hate to admit it) Can you advise in this form of communication (PM) Thanks in advance for your help!
Does anyone know the procedure To calibrate the throttle cable on d5g?
Worst thing I talked with my cat service guy before I changed the throttle cables and he told me just change them and run it....After countless hours of frustration I found this post and see it needs to be calibrated. Here I though something crazy was wrong as this dozer was swamped and I just got it running
Tmcc, I don't know what the actual procedure is but it requires ET and the tech was driving the dozer around with his laptop.