My D5G is being really sluggish and slow. Even when it's good and warm and you let it sit for half an hour and fire it back up it will just not want to travel very well.There isn't any warning lights on.At first when i start it up in the morning it is fine, until i stop(even for a short while)When i start it back up, as soon as i lower the blade into a load it go sluggish and i notice white smoke from the exhaust. I have read previous posts about this problem, i had a guy with a ET system to calibrate the throttle control, It was better until i stopped for lunch, after lunch, same problem. I am a farmer with limited experience, so if you have any advice, please explain in basic terms.
First thing I would do is get the guy with ET back and ask him to look at what he did just to see if somehow the calibration that he did has been lost. Did calibrating the throttle make the white smoke go away when pushing hard with the machine hot..? I know it may seem like a silly question but I'm going to ask it because you gave no information above. Have you done all the basics such as checking oil levels, changing filters, etc, etc, in both the engine and hystat system..? Also what temperature does the transmission system run at when the machine is at normal operating temperature..?
I spoke to the ET guy and he will come asap(in South Africa than can be between 24hours and 2 weeks). I did a engine oil change and replaced all filters, engine,fuel & hydraulic. I also drained the fuel tank to make sure there is no contaminants or water(there were non.)I disconnected the fuel line at the filter and blew air back to the tank, also no obstruction. I then checked the solenoid on the back of the fuel pump. Now here my experiences or lack there off is letting me down. There is a rubber boot over the solenoid and no space to move it off. I can feel that the nut that hold the wire on the solenoid was slightly loose, so i tightened it. I started the dozer and it was back to normal. After about 3 minutes the problem started again and immediately there were white smoke. I do not know if any thing I did had any thing to do with the problem or if it was just a coincidence. For the 3 minutes it worked, there was no smoke when I pushed a load and I had full power. When the problem started I got out while the dozer was still on and still engaged to push the load. I wiggled the connection at the solenoid, but no improvement. The white smoke went away after calibrating, but when the problem started again the white smoke was back. I then stopped working. The next morning the dozer worked fine again and after a while the problem started again. I am not sure of the exact temperature when operating, but the gauge is divided in 4 quarters and it is in the first quarter where it has always been.
By your description it sounds to me like the first move should be to get ET back on it and find out what Diagnostic Codes it's generating when it spits the dummy. Plus also see if the calibration has been retained or not. The connection on the solenoid at the back of the fuel pump will most likely put you in a run/no run scenario. Any problems with that solenoid and the engine isn't going to start IMHO. I don't think it's your problem (although loose connections should really always be tightened, just in case), others may have a different opinion.