Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d5g xl

Greg P · 2025-09-13 10:29

I have a 2005 cat d5g xl s/n WGB 02696 with 4800 hrs on it. Bought it used with no service records. Looks to have been well maintained, runs and operates smoothly, no unusual sounds, leaks etc. I believe it has the original hydraulic pump coupler in it, and I’m wanting to inspect it or replace it. I can’t hardly find any information on the inspection maybe they the starter mount or which way is the easiest way to replace it. I’m a mechanic on smaller type equipment. So I’m not afraid to attempt the job. Any help, pictures and advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2025-09-13 17:08

    To the best of my knowledge you can’t get at that coupling or even see it without disassembly, and to do that means removing the engine. There was a case of a D5G only last week where it went 8000 hours in the original coupling before it failed.

  2. #2Greg P2025-09-13 17:31

    Thanks for the reply, I saw that post as well. My only concern is the terrain I’m in is very rocky, knowing my luck it’ll break in a very bad location. Just wish I knew if it had been replaced or not. Also is it easier to pull back the motor or the hydraulic pumps. If anybody has any photos or other ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again

  3. #3Nige2025-09-13 17:47

    Check out the link below. It has Part Numbers and a procedure to R&I the engine and pumps as a unit then split them once they are out of the tractor. That is the only way to get at the coupling. HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4Greg P2025-09-14 10:36

    Thanks, I’ll look into it.