Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d5h Converter running warm

arennecker ยท 2024-02-26 18:04

Cat d5h while pushing in first gear for about an hour the converter temp gets up to 230 degrees (60 degree day) the engine never gets above 175 degrees. But if you back up and shift into second gear the temp comes down quickly (about 15-20 seconds) to 190. I've drained the converter housing after doing a stall in 3rd gear and got 5qts out. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2024-02-26 18:34

    Are those temps on the converter outlet temp gauge.? Have they been checked with an infra-red heat gun.? When was the last time the transmission pump suction screen was removed, inspected, and cleaned.? 230 DegF (110 DegC) isn't that hot. The high TC out temp alarm will not go off until 125 DegC (253 DegF)

  2. #2arennecker2024-02-27 12:04

    I have not checked the temp with an infra-red thermometer. I'm just going off the gauge. I'm not sure on the pump screen. I haven't owned it very long and I have not cleaned the screen.

  3. #3Nige2024-02-27 12:42

    In that case I'd suggest that you change the transmission oil & filter, and while you have the oil drained remove and clean the screen. Post photos of whatever material you find on it. Who knows when the screen was last cleaned if you've never done it. Did you find a small screen in the bottom of the converter housing where the drain line connects.? If so was there any material in it.? Do you have an O&M Manual.? If you are doing your own maintenance it's very useful thing to have. The oil for the power train should be an SAE30 that meets Cat TO-4 specification. Here's another check that should be easy to do when the oil is warm. Lift the floor plate in the cab and observe the drive shaft between the converter and the transmission. Start the engine and run at low idle and apply the brakes. In neutral the shaft should spin. Engage any gear and the shaft should stop absolutely dead. Pay careful attention to how the shaft behaves shifting from neutral to 1st speed both forward and reverse and compare that to how it behaves when you select 2nd or 3rd speed from neutral.

  4. #4arennecker2024-02-27 12:53

    I'll plan on changing the fluid and filter and clean that screen while its drained. There was a screen in the drain plug of the converter housing. Is this the same screen or is there another one? I know when i did the stall test in 3rd gear the drive shaft was not spinning when the brakes were applied. I did not try it in other gears. Can you give me some insight on why it might move in other gears? Or not stop abruptly?

  5. #5Nige2024-02-27 13:48

    Not the same one. There is a big screen #21 in the illustration below with magnets in it located in the suction line to the transmission pump. BTW was the screen in the torque converter drain clean when you removed it.?

  6. #6Nige2024-02-27 13:56

    A TC stall test is something totally different as regards what it is trying to achieve. Observing how rapidly the drive shaft stops when you shift from neutral to any gear at idling speed (This is important. You don't need to rev the engine at this point) will give you an indication of just how fast the transmission clutches are engaging. That's why the test should be repeated shifting from neutral for every gear in both forward and reverse direction. If you suspect 1st gear might be slipping a bit then do the test from neutral to 1st and after a couple of seconds slowly increase the engine speed to medium RPM and watch the shaft carefully. If the clutch is slipping you will see the shaft start to rotate just a hair. It might be a smooth movement or a series of jerks but either way it indicates a slipping clutch.

  7. #7arennecker2024-02-27 14:10

    Thank you for the info. I will check to see if the shaft turns in each gear.

  8. #8arennecker2024-02-27 14:12

    I'll check that one. The screen in the drain of the housing was completely clean. Nothing in it. The oil that was drained out look OK also not really dirty, not like new.

  9. #9Nige2024-02-27 14:58

    The power train oil should be clear and bright in appearance and a kind of straw colour. Anything even slightly opaque, cloudy ect, should be junked. Also have a good sniff of the oil and try to detect any odour of burning.

  10. #10arennecker2024-02-27 18:41

    I pulled the floor plate up and watched the shaft it stops abruptly in all gears. At an idle. When slowly accelerating in 1st forward I can make the shaft turn just a little bit.

  11. #11Nige2024-02-27 19:00

    OK so that would appear to indicate that the 1st speed clutch is not slipping. That eliminates one possibility of how any excess heat might be being generated. I think it's still worth draining the oil and taking a good look at the suction screen. Drain into clean containers if you want and re-use the oil afterwards if you like. Next step is to confirm the gauge temps are kosher by using an infra-red gun on block where the the TC outlet temperature sensor is installed.

  12. #12arennecker2024-02-27 22:03

    Is there any other screens other than the big one in the picture and the one on the drain plug of the torque converter housing?

  13. #13Nige2024-02-28 08:13

    No those are the only ones. If you plan on keeping this tractor for a while and do your own maintenance I would recommend getting an Operation & Maintenance Manual. They be downloaded for about $50 on the basis of a Serial Number.