I am the proud owner of a john deere 450CC Dozer sn #: 195007T with unknown hours and unsure of machine history. I have changed the transmission fluid(used tractor supply john deere equivalent), cleaned the screen and replaced the filter. I went through the HLR adjustment and found the pressure to be low. I removed the pressure control valve cap and found there were already shims stacked in side the cap. I was only able to add one shim and still get the threads to catch. After adding the shim the pressure was in range per the spec. I then went back through the HLR adjustment procedure. Initially, the machine would push and shift great. Both tracks would spin when pushing against an immovable object. However after running the machine for approximately 20 minutes it became weak and unable to push much of anything. The shift also became sluggish. I have used the machine several times and each time it performs the same. Strong initially, then progressively weaker. What else do I need to look at?
Sounds like your pump may be getting worn to the point of bypassing, more so when the fluid gets warm. I've had three JD450's, a B, a C and now have an E...all three have the HLR transmission. I've had very little issues with any of the three, pressure's mostly and fixed with adjustment usually, as far as replacing any part of the HLR system I have not had to do that. There are some knowledgeable JD people on here that will have much more to add then I. Good luck, I hope it gets resolved quickly and reasonably.
Welcome to HEF SChunter ! Did you re-check the pressure when it was acting up? If so, what is it? When you say you did the HLR adjustment, was that the adjustment in the bell housing under the rubber plug?
Good luck trying to find a pump
Not that easy to find huh? JD seems to be that way long before their useful life has ended.
Thank you for your reply! I rechecked the pressure after the machine ran a while and became weak. I don’t remember the exact number but I believe it was bouncing between 120-135. I followed the procedure in my technical manual to adjust the Hlr valve inside the bell housing. One thing I forgot to add in the original post. I noticed fluid inside the bell housing when making the adjustment after fluid change. I believe I may have over filled the transmission as the level appeared high on the dipstick. I drained fluid out until it was at the proper level. I used a boroscope to inspect inside the housing and there appeared to be 2-3” of fluid in the bottom of the housing. I then dropped the skid plate and cleaned out the drain port at the bottom of the bell housing. After getting the fluid level right I haven’t noticed anymore accumulation of fluid in the bell housing.
How do I determine if the pump has failed? Looking at the procedure it looks like you have to remove engine and bell housing to get to the pump. Any way to inspect prior to going that far?
no that is what you have to do
I have the parts catalog for my machine. Is there a rebuild kit that can be purchased for the transmission? What other work needs to be done when going this far?
Transmission pump*
Brother in law found one thru deere it believe it was $3200.00 it was a 450 E.
If there is that much oil in the bell housing, then the main drive clutch is most likely slipping. That clutch does not like oil. Draining the fluid out won't fix the issue. You probably have a seal leak at the transmission pump input shaft or the HLR shaft. There are 1 or 2 freeze plugs that sometimes rot out and leak. The leak is probably slow enough that it may take hours of running to accumulate enough for you to see it. Was that pressure with the machine in neutral? If so, then there may be a transmission pump/suction line/transmission issue. If the pressure was while engaged, then it could be from the clutch slipping since that drives the transmission oil pump, or maybe the metal seal rings for the clutches are worn. Unfortunately, on those older units, there is no easy way to isolate the issue. Nope
Have to get parts individually there is a special tool for compressing the clutch packs but you could work around that. I would not tear it down until you come up with a pump
The technical manual refers to the transmission pump as the "h-l-r oil pump." I do not see that assembly anywhere in the parts manual. Can anyone provide the part number for the assembly or the individual components?
Is this it or part of it ? CLUTCH OIL PUMP [01E24 https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/67823/referrer/navigation/pgId/171243
item 5