How do I adjust the steering brakes on a 1995 wish D5H ? This dozer is new to me. The left side seems to work perfectly. The right side lever can be pulled all the way to the rear of the lever travel and the brake never fully holds. The clutches do release because it steers easily when climbing a hill.
The procedure for adjusting the steering clutch and brake linkage is attached.
Thank you Nige, thank you very much for the quick response. I am trying to purchase a service manual, I posted another question about manuals available on eBay which are said to be in a flash drive form. My serial number is 8RJ04783. This is the first high drive machine that I've worked on. On the smaller machines I've worked on (D5C and John Deere 650G) the initial few inches of travel on the steering lever initiates a hydraulic valve which releases the selected steering clutch. Pulling the lever further back increasingly applies the brake. On those machines the brake band needed to be adjusted periodically. So sorry to ask again but is there a separate adjustment for the brake band, assuming that it has one? Thanks
Regarding the Operation and Test/Adjust of the power train including the steering clutches and brakes please take a look at this thread. There are two attachments in that thread which also apply to your machine. HeavyEquipmentForums
D5H has no brake bands they have multiple discs that are spring applied and pressure relased should have 0 pressuer when applied sounds like discs are wore. there may be a bit of lube pressure but that is it
Thank you Dave, I need to get a service manual. This sounds like quite an involved job. Much appreciate the information!
you will have to pull the tracs off and pull axles out then unbolt the whole final drive and the sterring and brakes will come out as a unit a forlift maes it easier to remove there are 2 or 3 bolts that have to come out to remove the clutches with the finals attached and a few that have to be left in I thin they are smaller in size
Good information. Without knowing anything, I would have expected that the transmission would need to be removed for this job, obvious my guess was wrong. I need to remove the tracks and roller carriers to replace the seals, and maybe bearings, on the tracks main pivot point too, so these jobs will be somewhat related. . I have my work cut out for me.