I need help determining what might cause all my gauges and warning lights to stop working on my Caterpillar D5K2 dozer. When I turn the key on, normally a self check is done by the ECM where all the gauges move and all lights flash. Now only the middle display (hours, rpm, etc) is working. I can't find a specific fuse for the dash gauges, but I did remove the dash and verified one red wire had a continuous 12v and one yellow wire had 12v only with key on.
Did you manage to see any numbers on those two wires.? If you want to trace power a bit deeper you need an electrical schematic. I can send you one but in order to identify the correct one would need your machine Serial Number.
Serial# KWW00968 l could not read the wire numbers. I do have a schematic already and based on my interpretation the red wire is battery+ and normal 12v. The yellow wire that is 12v when key on is #195 and seems to be working correctly. When key is on the CAN low (green wire #F712) is at 2.3v and the CAN high (yellow wire #F711) is at 2.8v. No voltage on yellow wire #H414 (horn?)
That is the Monitor System warning horn for when you have a Level 3 Alarm sounding. If everything is working correctly and you backprobe between H414 and machine frame ground when the key is first turned on it should show 12v during the time the self-test of the Monitor System is in process. Wire 105-RD should have machine voltage all the time, 197-YL when the key switch is on, so they are both fine. Did you check continuity to machine frame ground on the two 202-BK wires at Pins 10 & 11 of the Gauge Cluster.? Although the gauges are not working the fact that the hourmeter is still functioning gives you a chance that Diagnostic Codes can be seen from the Monitor Panel. Try the attached procedure and see what you come up with.
Both black wires appear grounded. Will search for diagnostic codes tomorrow. Thanks
H414 yellow wire has no volts when key is first turned on. Two codes showed up, both referencing the ECM (MID#039): DTC 247-09 and 811-09.
247-09 is an abnormal update on the CAN Data Link, 811-09 is the same symptoms on the Gauge Cluster. Attached is a troubleshooting procedure for the Data Link. If that does not throw any light on things it appears likely that the Gauge Cluster has failed.
Paul T, any update? My D6K woke up with the same symptoms the other day.
Yes. Nige was correct. CAT service came out and had to replace the entire gauge cluster.
Thanks. I'm afraid I'm headed the same direction on mine. :-(