Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D5M Bulldozer 1996 – Locating Transmission Dipstick & Fill

TCAGaming ยท 2024-09-05 12:56

I had to replace a thermometer sensor for the transmission fluid(hole in last picture). I wanted to check and fill transmission fluid but cannot find the dipstick or fill tube. Does anyone have an idea? Left side of engine has oil dipstick/fill Left side where wiring harness is stored has another oil dipstick/fill Top has coolant cap Back has hydraulic and gas fill + drains below Right side and under feet does not seem to have any sticks Any help would be appreciated.

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2024-09-05 13:19

    Help would probably be more forthcoming if you posted a machine Serial Number. For the small amount (around $50) you would invest, you could get hold of an Operation & Maintenance Manual that would contain the answers you need and much more besides.

  2. #2TCAGaming2024-09-05 13:43

    I appreciate the response. Here is the info Machine D5M Number 6GN00268 Serial 4TF30373 Engine 3116 Transmission 2EY00723 I have a manual for Parts and Service/Operations but can't find anything on a simple transmission dipstick or add. There is info on a drain. I assume there may be a third manual for servicing that I was unaware of or I could just be missing the right page altogether.

  3. #3Nige2024-09-06 05:58

    I can't imagine that the manual you have is a genuine OEM one because there is no such thing as a "Parts & Service/Operations" manual in the Cat system. Post a photo of the cover please. See below. This is the appropriate one for your Serial Number. See attached, extracted from the above O&M Manual. As a matter of interest what type of oil are you planning on using in the transmission.?

  4. #4Oxbow2024-09-06 07:05

    Pretty sure the ones in your first photo are for the transmission.

  5. #5TCAGaming2024-09-09 12:04

    I apologize for the delay. I posted a response Friday Morning, but looking here now it did not publish from my phone. The problem I am running into with what the manual says is the transmission dipstick(in the access on the left side shown in my very first picture) is that the color on the dipstick does not match the color of the fluid that came out of the machine. The fluid that leaked out was a pink/red, but what is on the dipstick is brown like engine oil. I want to make sure I am putting fluid in the correct place, even if this seems like something super obvious. Below is a picture of the manuals as requested. I bought these offline someone a few years back since they said D5M on the front. Also below is a picture of the fluid the guy at NAPA told me to use.

  6. #6Nige2024-09-09 12:19

    OK, so you have a Parts Manual (which will most definitely come in useful at some point) and the Troubleshooting section for the Monitor system (one of about 20 documents) from the Service Manual. Neither of those is going to help you much for details that are only contained in the O&M Manual. Click HERE , put SEBU6886 in the box and click search. You can have a downloaded copy of the O&M for $52 in 5 minutes or less. You WILL need this manual if you are going to do your own maintenance. it is common to add dye to oils in order to identify where leaks are coming from. In the case the sensor you replaced it might just have been a bit of old oil with dye right up next to it. The fill cap and dipstick behind the cover on the LH side is definitely for the transmission. EDIT: The use of colour-coded fill caps and diptsticks is a relatively recent thing, within the last 10 years or so. With your D5M dating back to 1996 it would have originally been built with system fill caps painted the same colour as the rest of the machine.

  7. #7TCAGaming2024-09-09 12:22

    I appreciate the help and speedy responses!

  8. #8Nige2024-09-09 12:28

    Can you take a photo of the "additional applications" on the back side of the container please.

  9. #9TCAGaming2024-09-09 12:30

    No problem

  10. #10Nige2024-09-09 12:37

    OK, so it meets JD J20C specification and "may be used in the following applications", one of which is Caterpillar TO-2. This is a transmission/powertrain specification that must go back close to 60 years. It was superceded by the TO-4 specification at the end of the 1980s. I wouldn't use that oil in a D5M transmission. You need an SAE30 oil meeting Cat TO-4 specification. It doesn't have to be Cat-branded oil, any product from a major oil company (Shell, Mobil, Chevron, Conoco, etc) will be fine.

  11. #11TCAGaming2024-09-09 12:42

    Again I am very appreciate of you going the extra mile to ask about the fluid. I would not have thought twice about that.

  12. #12Nige2024-09-09 12:53

    You're most welcome. Download a copy of the O&M Manual from the link I posted above and all the oil specifications are there for you to see. TBH I would always recommend an O&M to anyone who is maintaining their own equipment. If you want to look for a service manual then search the usual internet marketplaces for Cat Publication SENR8480. Here's one on eBay for about half new price.