Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

caterpillar D4/left clutch stuck

bobcat4tracker · 2024-09-03 16:56

My D4 CAT 7J gets started several times a year and usually np problems! Yesterday, however, the left clutch which worked fine when last used, would not release? I proceeded to disc several acres making do while only being able to turn clockwise. Any thoughts as to what I should check in order to diagnose the problem?

Replies5
  1. #1bccat2024-09-03 23:17

    Have you tried adjusting the steering clutch ? and or the clutch is frozen and needs to be broke lose with a heavy load attached to the tractor, I would check the adjustment first

  2. #2bobcat4tracker2024-09-04 01:20

    Like I mentioned before, both clutches worked fine when I last used the beast about 5 months ago, but now the L clutch is stuck and there appears to be excessive play in the release lever? Strange that after sitting several months that there is a problem now? I'll do some research on how to adjust the clutch and go from there, thanks for your input!

  3. #3Dave Neubert2024-09-04 08:33

    pull the cover off of the back there is one on each side held on by 4 bolts you will see the clutch arm I think it is a 1 1/2 hex with a 3/4 screw you can try tightening it up but look to see if yoke moves when you pull lever

  4. #4TomA2024-09-04 08:54

    Try to adjust by taking all free play out. Run and try to steer. If it steers return free play to 3".

  5. #5bccat2024-09-04 12:33

    To adjust the steering clutches, remove the cover that is on top of the transmission cover just below the seat, about 8 3/8 capscrews, once the cover is off it’s pretty easy to adjust the linkages , it’s been a while, so going by memory, I had 7j 57