I have Cat D5N CKT 00287 LGP dozer that unfortunately has had a major failure in the final drive. I have replaced all the planetary and ring gears, bearings and seals but Cat in Australia cannot supply the axel and sun gear (Part # 191 - 4915) and have advised it is a manufacture only item that could take up to 3 months to get from Cat in US. I have tried to source new/used shaft from Japan without any luck. I have been advised that a couple of dealers in USA have this shaft but Cat will not buy back from dealers. Does anyone know where I may source this shaft in either new or used. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting desperate. Firetrack
If it's a "Machine Down" situation (which yours is) then Cat should get one from a dealer if there is one in stock somewhere in a dealer warehouse and the expected availability date though Cat is very long. Worldwide dealer stocks do NOT appear in Cat systems, but they have a way of investigating what dealer is holding what, it's just not available to mere mortals like us. Let me see what I can find out.
Update. My local dealer is confirming the part is MAO (Made as Ordered). In other words it will only be put into manufacture if a confirmed order comes from a dealer. They are quoting 1 month lead time. Sorry can't be any more help than that.
thanks for your help. I've had it on order from Hastings Deering in Brisbane for over 3 weeks now and they still can't give me any idea when it will be available. Are there any places in US where machines are parted out because of fire, accident damage etc. There are a couple of these in Aust but as this is a relatively late model machine (2004/5) they haven't seen any yet to wreck.
This crap is conveniently forgotten when the salesmen want you to buy the machine... I'd be getting them made locally. A good gear design factory will at least do it in good time & still charge less than those useless OEMs. Plus the local guy will be happy to have your business.
Check www.rockanddirt.com under dismantled machines there is an MXL being dismantled not sure if the parts are the same though.
The machine they are breaking on that web site is a 5ES prefix. It doesn´t have the shaft he needs unfortunately.
Thanks for all your efforts. Is there a way that we can ascertain if the shaft is compatable with any other machine in the Cat lineup. If it was used in another machine it would open up the possibility of finding another machine that is being broken up.
Slim Pickens unfortunately. Here's the list. D5N Tractor - CKT prefix D5N LGP Tractor - AKD prefix 561N Pipelayer - TAD prefix & CPH prefix. Good luck finding one of those ......... The fact that particular shaft is confined to just one model explains why it is not readily available in the parts system.
Guys, No luck and as of today Cat still can't give me a production date so I've found a gear manufacturer in Brisbane who is going to make it for me. Take one week only. He has had the old shaft tested for hardness and wants me to take down the planetary gears to make sure he gets a good match. His shaft will be much more expensive but this down time is costing me a motza in lost revenue. I'll probably take his out if and when the genuine one arrives and keep the non genuine as a spare. thanks every one for the input Firetrack
Cat, as of 20th October, still cannot give me a production date. Yesterday the product suport rep gave me a call(who has been on leave for a month) to 'touch base' on the problem. Made suggerstions that they would help pay for the locally manufactured shaft. I declined the offer, as this would then give them a reason not to produce the original!. I want to use the non genuine until the genuine unit comes and then I will put it and a new set of planetary gears so that they are matched. I had to take out the planetary gears for the local gear manuafacturer so that he can ensure we get a good toe and heel match between the sun and planetary gears. I thought Cat had put in a new set of planetary gears but now realise they had installed used ones - so it looks like they didn't have planetary gears either. I am about to place an order for new skid steer and have it down to S770 Bobcat or JD328D. Told the Cat guy that I'm not even going to give them the opportunity to quote - he thought I was being a bit harsh on them!
Hey Firetrack, Would you want to buy an entire good used final? I have found a pair of finals, price is around $4000 USD/each. Lemme know and I will steer you in the right direction. A Cat dealer has it, came off of a low-houred AKD s/n, represented as inspected and resealed. JCS
dblaneyfan, I'm picking up my manufactured(not by Cat) shaft on Wednesday. Now Cat want to help me pay for it(not sure what contribution they are offering). I probably won't accdept their offer as it deminishes their role in not being able to supply and at this stage still not being able to advise when they can even manufacture the item. I wonder why Cat couldn't tell me that a dealer had these final drives a month ago. They, supposedly, have looked at all dealers new and second hand stocks worldwide for me. I appreciate your efforts in helping me out. If the manufactered shaft does not work out I will certainly get back to you. Once again thanks Firetrack
Not all dealers enter their used parts into the system. We put most of ours in but we do have stuff laying around that we need to sent to out used parts, we just haven't go around to it. Sometime parts that need to be made can take a while. This can be very frustrating. We have waited months. These parts are usually made by vendors and they have other things in production and dont always get started on them right away. This is out of your dealers hands but it sounds like they are trying to help.
Lee-online I know what you mean, I have to call the used parts department at my local Cat dealer to find out if they have something in stock, a lot of times the regular parts counter does not know what is available in used. Sometimes for larger items like finals or components they have to check the yard because they remember it coming in but it's not in the system. This seems more common since 2008 becauseb everyone is trying to get the most out of less people and mistakes will happen. Cat used parts networking is also fragmented. JCS
Finally got my D5N operational again - but with my locally manufactured axel and sun gear. Cat still cannot advise on a manufacture date for their axel. They are blaming the GFC for a drop in their spare parts stock. Firetrack
I know Holt Cat in San Antonio Texas has a large used parts operation. You would have to call them to find out what they have though. You can try the at www.holtcat.com .
Still have not heard from Cat anything about the production date of my axel. The locally manufactured unit is performing well so far - done approx 105hrs on it.
Hooray, Cat have just advised an anticipated delivery date of somewhere in August for my axel!!. Not bad since they've had the part since Sept 10th 2011. My locally manufactured axel and sun gear have now done approx 170hrs with now trouble and no metal in the final drive oil. Firetrack
Bloodie hell mate sounds like another successful cat story to me in aus. mate if you ever need one of them again please let me know we are a CAT dealer just not in aus iam based in china mainland , i also run a bucket factory and parts company i understand what you mean also another thing to be careful mate is that this part they are suppling to you is made in the USA not made here in china in there Jiangsu factory and exported to the US and then sent to aus i have had that happen to me even here in china they will produce parts here export them to the states and then send them back to china so they can ask a higher price also if you dont mind me asking what did they slug you for it?
Originally the price from last was only $360 plus tax but i don't know what they are asking now. The one I had manufactured in Brisbane cost around $1750 I think - but I had to get the unit operational
Wow, Talk about timely service.