Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D6 8U dozer weight

Spoke ยท 2023-04-15 12:15

Good day everyone, I was wondering if anyone have a idea how much a CAT D6 8U dozer weighs. It has a blade and a 5 tooth ripper (only has 1 tooth in). On the blade there stands the name Wright. It's probably the brand of the blade. The reason I am asking this is because I have a double axle rigid lorry, so I was wondering if it would be possible to load it on it without breaking the lorry. According to the lorry's manual is max axle limit is 20 tons and the tires can carry 21 tons. But I think it is rated as a 14 ton truck. Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1chidog2023-04-15 14:32

    Not sure if this is close. Caterpillar D6 Free Tractor Data | Jensales Specs Get free Tractor Data and more for the Caterpillar D6 right here! Instant online access to serial number info, paint codes, capacities, weights and more instantly. Get everything you need for your Caterpillar D6 now! www.jensales.com

  2. #2Nige2023-04-15 14:58

    The Cat Performance Handbook lists it at approximately 18,000 pounds not including blade and ripper.

  3. #3Spoke2023-04-15 16:22

    I almost can't believe that it would be that light, the new D6s weigh 50,000 pounds, are they a lot bigger or what. I also have a CAT 922B which is also rated at 17,000 which I can believe but not the dozer. Thanks anyways.

  4. #4chidog2023-04-15 20:04

    The older machines are made from less material, and some times thinner materials too. I think even the older D8's from back in the early 50's, were close to the same weight as a D7G. Cat just kept upping the weight, especially when Komatsu started to copy them. The Komatsu equivalent machines were always a smitch more in weight than the Cat. Yes newer D6 is bigger. D6 was always a 30K machine if I remember right.

  5. #5skyking12023-04-15 21:15

    ^ 30~32 K But those are D6C and newer with blade ROPS etc. The 8U is a 90 HP machine. the later models 140 on for power. They are just bigger. Here is a link at acmoc on a 9u that has the blade at ~4400 https://www.acmoc.org/bb/discussion-d72/27476-old-d6-dozer-weight#:~:text=Around 40000 lbs the pair .

  6. #6Spoke2023-04-16 05:01

    Thanks, so then I must be able to haul it easily on my 14 ton truck. I thought that it may be a bit heavier but you proofed me wrong.

  7. #7old-iron-habit2023-04-18 22:49

    Nige's weight is real dang close. My 9U-D6 was right in that weight range on the local scale when I hauled it. The narrow gauge 8U is a wee bit lighter than the wide gauge 9U all else being equal.