Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 690ELC system timing out for no reason

Ironrider71220 ยท 2023-04-15 10:31

690 ELC s/n 559646 working great and suddenly it just stops working, engine idles down low, nothing changes on display or on console system setings, it just stops. Let it set 2-5 mintues, engine idles up and its working like a champ again. Any ideas would be a great help and appreciated. Located in Louisiana. Thanks.

Replies8
  1. #1chidog2023-04-15 16:05

    For how long does it work after that rest? So you power it down for those 2 to 5 minutes? And how long before it does it again? Could be some failing discrete electronic component.

  2. #2Ironrider712202023-04-15 20:03

    Theres no rythm to the time outs, I may work it 5hrs and it do it, let it reset itself and it not do it again. Or like yesterday do it every couple hours. And today ran it 8 hours no trouble an all. Couple years ago I had some issues with the pump controller solenoid. Everything quit working, but it stayed quit. Removed controller solenoid assembly, disassembled it , put it back together its ran 2 years since. I'm really leaning on that possibly being the issue. It the going back to work thing that throwing me.

  3. #3mg23612023-04-16 06:10

    Welcome to HEF Ironrider71220 ! I have some specific questions that could help narrow down which circuit is the issue. While it could be a component, I think your issue will be wiring related rather than component related. 1. When it idles down, do the hydraulics work? 2. While at idle, any changes to the way the hydraulics work in I, L, E or P modes? For example, if it drops to idle, do the hydraulics work only in the I mode? 3. If you were in P mode when it idles down, it stays in P mode? 4. Do the hydraulics stall the engine after it idles down.

  4. #4Ironrider712202023-04-18 06:59

    Sorry about the late reply, I really appreciate the concern you guys offer. Here is a rundown. Works great in all modes and speed ranges, I love this ol machine. But, you can be digging along and suddenly the engine goes to extremely low idle, and all power functions stop. No warning lights, nothing. Changing power functions, speed ranges, engine idle range, nothing works, all lights are working but nothing happens. I just let it idle for 2-5 minutes, joy sticks and travel pedals are dead, suddenly engine rpm picks up and we are off to the races again for indefinate period, 15 minutes to 5hrs. I ran it all day yesterday with no issues. As I've said all console functions/lights work but nothing happens until it calms its nerves and then off we go again. I'm leaning toward the pump regulator because its done this before in years back, but when it did it always stayed dead, until I removed the regulator and cleaned it. But this returning to work on its own is different. I do drainage work on large tracts of land and its just annoying sometimes. I certainly appreciate all the input and help.

  5. #5mg23612023-04-18 12:27

    Check your PM.

  6. #6Bradc9162023-07-31 19:03

    What was your solution? Mine appears to be doing something very similar.

  7. #7mg23612023-08-01 04:48

    Ironrider cleaned his pump regulator. Back in April, he said it has been running fine after he had done that. Hopefully he will chime in to confirm it is still running OK. If you are having issues and will be seeking information, I suggest starting your own thread in the excavator section with the machine's complete serial number and a detailed explanation of what your machine's symptoms are.

  8. #8Ironrider712202023-08-02 15:39

    Hello guys, sorry for the late reply. I finally found the issue, a corroded plug in on the wiring harness going to the pump controller solenoid, I was located behind the cab. I started with a multi meter plugged into the wire losing voltage and moved it back up the wiring harness until I found where the problem was. I fixed that about 2 months ago and she hasn't missed a beat since.