Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6 Dozer Questions

Bobcat Crazy ยท 2022-01-12 19:43

Good Evening Guys! I am looking at another project and I wanted to ask you more experienced Guys a couple of questions. The D6 looks pretty good (from the pics anyway). The owner says it has plenty power, engine runs good, hydraulics are strong. Recently something happened to the drive/movement, the movement does good for about 10 minutes when you first start it but then it stops moving. He thinks maybe something is getting sucked into the pump, and/or maybe the filter has come apart. Do any of you Guys that may have experienced something like this in the past, or have repaired one doing this in the past have any idea what this could be? The dozer is priced at $7-K which in my unlearned opinion seems to be reasonable for a machine that needs some work. Any idea of what may be wrong with this Cat? PS. It is obvious that I do not know the difference between a Thread and a Conversation. Thanks in advance! B-Crazy

Replies16
  1. #1rondig2022-01-12 20:37

    Sorry to ask but letter after d6 is important in this case

  2. #2Delmer2022-01-12 20:46

    Serial number never hurts either.

  3. #3Bobcat Crazy2022-01-12 20:57

    I don't know the answer to those two questions but I will dig a little deeper to see what I can find. I can post a pic of it if that would help.

  4. #4rondig2022-01-12 21:00

    Sure post pic....serial number is best...but atleast need to know if it is d6 d6b c d

  5. #5Bobcat Crazy2022-01-12 21:05

    D6 pics. It also runs a 13 foot blade it that helps identify anything.

  6. #6Bobcat Crazy2022-01-12 21:08

    Just posted pics. It will probably be tomorrow before I can get the other info from the owner.

  7. #7rondig2022-01-12 21:11

    Wow that is older than me lol...

  8. #8Bobcat Crazy2022-01-12 21:17

    Hey i knew for 7-K it was not a new one!

  9. #9Bobcat Crazy2022-01-12 21:20

    And I don't have $107,000 to play with. But I could probably find 7K laying around somewhere, as long as the wife does not know that I am looking at another piece of junk to work on.

  10. #10Bobcat Crazy2022-01-12 21:23

    If the wife knew I was looking at this it would be the couch for me tonight. But after 41 years of marriage the couch is just as good (maybe better ) as the bed!

  11. #11Bobcat Crazy2022-01-12 21:27

    She has cooled down a little about the 1155D now that I have it running and I am pushing down trees with it. Or maybe it is just that I can't hear her when it is running. Oh well, either way the out come is the same, I can't hear her!

  12. #121693TA2022-01-12 21:50

    [QUOTE="Bobcat Crazy, post: But after 41 years of marriage the couch is just as good (maybe better ) as the bed! [/QUOTE] In my case, the couch is much warmer.....

  13. #13Metalman 552022-01-13 05:09

    From the pictures it looks like a D6C, ser # prefix could be 10KXXXX maybe? Vintage could be early 70's maybe.

  14. #14.RC.2022-01-13 05:23

    The lift rams give away early to mid D6C's. The later ones had screw on head glands. The ones in the photo are bolt on head glands.

  15. #15Metalman 552022-01-13 05:26

    Yeah.........I noticed that too......mine was a 1971 model year & it was the bolt on heads............

  16. #16Bobcat Crazy2022-01-14 19:01

    Hey Guys! Thanks for all of the input! I have decided to pass on this one. I think I will invest some of that money I was thinking about putting in the Cat in my CASE 1155 that I have already built the engine in and totally re-ringed the hydraulic control valve in. Hopefully I will get the time tomorrow to get the hydro fluid back in it and Sweetheart will be ready to play around some again!