Does anyone know the part number for track links and sprocket segments, pins, bushings...just purchased this machine, if there is a place to retrieve part numbers for this old beast, would be helpful...anyone else have this machine...could I bend your ear? I am looking for a service manual with part numbers in the future. Thanks
That would be either a model 37Axxxx s/n for narrow gauge or 44Axxxx for wide gauge. ebay is usually the best source for original parts and service manuals.
44A is the one I have...seen manuals on e-bay and will probably go that route...just trying to get this machine running before winter...don't want to wait for a manual to arrive to get part numbers...do the service manuals have part numbers?..got to get parts asap
Service manuals do not have parts number except maybe for some special tooling. For undercarriage the D6B rails and sprockets have been changed/upgraded to D5 6.91" pitch from the original 6.75" pitch, requiring changing sprockets or to weld on sprocket rings. Regular 6.91" pitch weld rings are part # 5S4822 Segmented adapter weld on rings are part # 5S0834 Segment part #6Y0253 (9 req'd per ring) New segment sprocket hub is part # 5S0726 Choice of sealed or sealed and lubricated track replacement. Old grousers can be used but end gaps will be larger on 6.91" rails.
I'm pretty green here, just trying to get a grip on what I need to do...I have a ring on the machine now, that appears to be welded at the spokes. That is factory? There is 9 segments bolted to that ring now. and it appears to be 6.75...hard to tell, worn so bad.There isn't 6.91 segments that I an buy that bolt to my existing ring? I need to cut off the existing ring and replace it with a (perhaps larger diameter?) ring that matches the bolt pattern of the 6.91 pitch segments? Forgive my ignorance on this...a few years with this machine and ill know all about it
If it has segments it has already been converted to 6.91" pitch with the weld on adapter ring. In this case you just need to replace the segments and tracks/rails plus any other worn out components such as track rollers and carrier rollers. Front idlers can be weld built up or replaced if need be. If it has hydraulic track adjusters they may be needing rebuild/reseal as well.
Was a stock/factory set up a cast sprocket, no segments? Trying to find out what pitch this is
Do you own a tape measure? Bob
Why? Segmented sprockets only came in 6.91" pitch. Original one piece sprocket was 6.75" pitch.
Bob's funny guy...the sprockets are segmented and wore to just nubs...hard to tell the difference between 6.75 & 6.91 on something worn so bad, but I would say it's the 6.91...had no idea that segmented sprockets only came in 6.91. like I asked earlier is stock a one piece sprocket...if so then this was converted many years ago. there is 38 links...and I'm getting told that 40 links is what this machine came with? So I'm guessing larger pitch, less links. If I'm following your expert advice here properly, I'll be searching for 2 sets of 38 link chain and 18 sprocket segments both being the 6.91 pitch and the width of the chain is not a concern and I assume my track pads will bolt right up to the new link assembly. Old Magnet you have been a great help here, I've had an equipment parts guy come look at this machine and he didn't pick up on any of the changes this machine has
Watch that link count. Original was 40 link (6.75") when using large diameter front idlers. That would be replaced by 39 links using 6.91" pitch rails. Common practice was to remove a link and run to destruction so that may be why you see wiped out sprocket segments and 38 links.
Again I'd like to get your advice...... on my order, should I ask for 39 links, that's probably what I need eh?...I could always remove one if too long?
The expert advice is tighten your tracks up and measure 5 pins and divide by 4 to see what your track pitch is. Bob
with bobs theory my pitch is 7.25...not sure how that theory works when trying to measure something that is so badly worn the machine can barely move with the blade up
Measuring pitch on extremely worn out tracks like that is a wast of time. Yes on 39 link. Link assembly part numbers are 3P5757 for sealed and 3P3885 for sealed and lubricated. I would expect you'd be needing track roller and carrier roller replacements as well.
Thanks again Old Magnet for those numbers...yes I will be on the hunt for some of those pieces. trying to find good used. I'm dealing with offshore for new sprockets and segments...this machine will just be used around my property, do some logging, push some snow. not trying to make any money with it. I just couldn't let my friend send it out for scrap. You must have one of these machines to have all this info on it. If your ok with it, I'd like to bend your ear in the future. I'm sure I'll have more hurtles to get over bringing this thing back to life
Your looking for new sprockets?? I thought all you needed were segments. My D6 is a 9U model just prior to the 44A. Same 6.75" original undercarriage. I'm usually to be found over on the ACMOC (Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club) bulletin board. Maybe you should think about joining.
Sorry... made an error on that....meant to say new CHAINS and segments...I will join... thanks