Mt Cat D 6C 10K09269 3306 motor is having fuel Issues. It will run 3 to 4 hours and quit running. I can get it started using eather and the fuel pressure is barely in the green. What kind of fuel pump can go bad on the Dozer? Is it the Transfer pump or could it be the fuel injection pump? How do you check them. Could it be something else?
Yes, it is more likely the filters like in your other post. Does it start back up if you shut it off after it's been running an hour? or do you have to use ether then also? Have you tried to prime the fuel system before cranking it after it's died? You can take the fuel supply pipes apart to check for flow, and debris. That's what I'd do if the filters flow fuel good.
Yes it will start back up if you shut it down but if it shuts down because of low fuel pressure it will not start back up without eather. I took the fuel filter off and it was only about half full of diesel fuel. I filled it up and it started.
I took the fuel line apart and it appears to have good flow
I just noticed the Fuel Transfer pump has been changed out before. It appears to be a after market pump.
Check fittings , fuel lines may be sucking in some air .
Is the fuel tank above the transfer pump, injection pump and filters? Sorry, I don't know Cats, and it's been a lonnnnng time since I was on anything like that. Check any filter seals, compression fittings get tightened too much and crack, leading to more tightening and leaking, any rubber hoses? if the filter was half full then you're sucking air somewhere, that's probably partly caused by a plug or restriction somewhere. Have you checked the tank itself? I like to take a length of 1" vinyl hose and siphon out of the tank, moving the hose around the bottom, then check the bucket (cleaned before you start) and see how much trash you sucked out. That won't fix the trash, it's just a sample of what's in there, you can siphon the fuel right back into the tank if there's no trash, or siphon the top four gallons if there is trash in the bottom.
Does it tell what pressure output is for the pump. If it does ,match it to what the machine calls for
Don’t those machines have a glass bowl filter under the injection pump. I’ve seen those full of mud with like others said leads to a tank cleaning
Sounds like you have a floater in the tank drain tank look inside wit a flashlight I think there is a metal fuel bowl on the injection pump just under the transfer pump pull the fuel shut off the fuel tank and check it for blockage too
1/2 full filters usually means the tank outlet is partially clogged.. U can get a fairly good idea of the tank by just looking at the underside of the cap & the fill neck on the tank.. is it rusty..?? If yes, then there’s the answer.. Good luck..
that machine has a metal bowl under trans fer pump has a screen in it check fuel flow real good more likley the cause than fuel pump if it runs alright when it runs and there has been lots of floater in tank than i care to think about. go with line all way from tank to pump fittings stop up more than lines.like water flow go from start to end.
Yes like Mbar says that machine should have the small screen under the injection pump, but they are at least the ones I have seen all steel bowls, see picture below: Just to give you an idea that "bowl" #3 is about the size of a shot glass. That element #4 has a rod on the top and it screws up into the bottom of the pump housing, well actually it is the pump drive housing that Cat calls the accessory drive housing. See below: Red arrow points to where the filter would be hanging and the blue arrow point to the place the hour meter is mounted, main fuel filter would be mounted to the flat area on the top of the housing.
I have already changed out the first filter and bowl and installed a new filter. The filter was in bad shape. It did not change anything. There is a rubber 1/2 inch hose and a in-line filter for the furl line. Is this alright or do I need to change it out?
Change make sure direction of flow is correct. Dump it out see if clean.
So someone has replaced the OEM sediment bowl (as shown above by KSH) with an in-line filter. That's clever, where the ***k is the water & sediment supposed to get drained from..?
also, if this has a hand primer up at the top of the spin-on fuel filter, make sure the plunger is seated and make sure its not sucking air at the mount gasket or maybe the plunger is not sealing when it is seated
It does not have a hand primer on it.
Another "modification" that takes away the capacity to do things - like hand-pump fuel to get the pressure up for starting. This gets better .........
That's odd, as when I put in the S/N 10K09269 and check the list of arrangement numbers for the engine it says that serial number D6C had engine arrangement number 2P6795 and when I look in the parts section for fuel system I see this: But as someone has cobbled in the rubber hoses with the inline filter I would not be surprised if they also did remove that pump! While we are looking at pictures can you post a picture showing this "transfer pump" you say looks to be after market? Also I realize I was a bit off in my description in post #13 above when I said the blue arrow pointed to the place the hour meter would be mounted. Actually that would be where the fuel transfer pump is installed and the hour is mounted to the transfer pump. This shows the meter piggy backed on the pump. I could claim I was right but .......pump goes in the hole and meter goes on the pump!
Well did a little editing of the picture from post #14 above and was able to get a look of the transfer pump. It appears the service meter is "missing in action"! It does kind of look like that pump has been changed, don't see any yellow paint on it! I'd also be checking the valves back at the fuel tank, could have crap in them or they could be half shut off! One more thought while I'm typing, have you checked the fuel cap on the tank? There should be some foam filters inside it and if they are plugged solid you could have a condition where engine would die out after a period of running. We had a John Deere back-hoe that did it often, clean filter in cap and it was good to go for months!
It has no hand primer or Hour meter on it
Any chance of a good picture or what ever is needed to show how that inline fuel filter is connected and where the lines from it go. I'm not sure if that could be some of the problem. Also there is a bleeder valve on top of the spin-on fuel filter housing to vent out the air when you prime the system. Have you tried opening that to see if any fuel comes out? With the priming pump missing I might try opening it at low idle and see if it vents out the air.
Here is where the 1/2" inlet starts with rubber hose to in-line filter to transfer pump
I don’t know what others might be thinking after seeing those photos but IMHO that fuel supply system has “lash-up” written all over it. No wonder it’s giving you fits.
Throw the inline filter away and dont put it back. Certain inline filter media swells with water and shut the flow down or off. I've dealt with this before on several different machines...
Thank all of you so much. I will throw the inline filter away and install a new fuel filter on and try it tomorrow. I will let you know how it comes out. One last thing should I get a new fuel line to replace the rubber hose?
It looks like you have enough hose to remove one section and the inline filter. You did replace the screen in the sediment bowl, right? #4 in Ken's post #13. If you have that screen in place, then the inline filter is not needed and will plug faster than the bowl. The in line filter might have been added to be easier to change and easier to see? If it's a strainer, you could clean it and keep it, but why? Do not replace it with a new inline fuel filter, only put it back on if it's a mesh strainer, or you find a new mesh strainer.
Yes I did change the screen in the bowl. I will remove the inline filter and one part rubber hose and connect the end of hose to the transfer pump and then try it out. Thanks
And I be making sure that hose is not swelled up on the inside causing a restriction. Who knows if it is a hose suitable for diesel fuel? Like I said above I would like to see that the air has been bled out of that filter housing. Have to think Cat might have had a good reason to install the priming pump and the bleeder on that housing. Don't think they just had some extras laying around and wanted to get rid of them! One more thing. I would be thinking about hooking up a known good pressure gauge to the point the factory gauge is connected to double check the fuel pressure. With what looks like a new pump on there I would expect pressure to be right up near the top of the green on the dash gauge if everything is working right. Fuel pressure should be 25-32 psi and it is controlled by a relief valve in the gear pump. If you don't have a good gauge to compare do you have an air pressure regulator you can use to test the dash gauge? Adjust it to 30 psi and see what the dash gauge shows!
any time there is a filter installed on the suction side, they are prone to problems, that is why there is usually only strainers and then the filter is installed on the pressure side of the lift pump
This morning I took the inline fuel filter off and hardly had any pressure on the outlet side. I hooked the hose up to the transfer pump and started it up. I ran it for about 6 hours today and it has never run so good. It had more power and pushing trees like never before. I want to thank everyone for the help getting this dozer going again. I am sure there will be more problems as I go along but is old. Thank you
Glad to hear that 3306 is running better now! I'd still be thinking about working on restoring it to the original design of having a priming pump. It would make it easier when doing a filter change or if someone, I won't say who, runs it out of fuel! I personally have only a bit of experience with D6C's or any dozer but spent many days working on 3306's in other applications.
That would be great to put a priming pump and hour meter on it. I just bought this D 6C about three years ago and the previous owners made all the adjustments to it. It is still a good machine for being made in 1973. Thanks for all the help
73, 73, why that's nearly new. Lots of us geezers on here remember that as just last week. Now, if you want to go back a touch further...
Don't throw out that old inline filter yet, I want to see what you shake out of it, or open it up if you're not planning to use it. You don't need a priming pump if you can pressurize the tank to prime it. A hose clamp and a valve stem with a circle of inner tube works good if the cap is a thread on style.
I wanna say I’ve taken the filter base that the Baldwin filter is hanging on on before to gain access to other parts and found crud under it where the fuel flow is. Maybe one of the guys can show you the break down. Sis is on my laptop and I’m not
Really not much to the base assembly but if it helps see attached couple pages: Note that where #3 is pointing on some engines there is a pressure regulating valve there, but on this D6C that regulating valve is part of the fuel pump assembly!