Facebook Marketplace special D31 with practically new undercarriage couldn't pass me by. I gave $3500 for the thing with nothing on the trans dipstick and no response from the gearshift. I've been looking for a small dozer for about 2 years and this was the one. So i went ahead and drug this dimepiece to the house yesterday. I have pulled the strainer and it looks like the PO read the same threads i found here, and it had been sprayed it off with brake cleaner. (i see spray shadows) After putting it back it wanted to move for a second, but then, nothing. I'm going to order a new strainer and O rings if i can find them, but i dont think thats my problem. I have found mentions of other screens to check and also pressure checks i need to do but cant find the wheres and hows. Does anyone know where else there is a screen or strainer i need to check? Also Im a moron and could be missing something very obvious. If anyone can point me in a direction for diagnosis before i pull the trans out i would appreciate it.
Also, from reading threads i don't see anyone saying it could be worn out. Its got 7300 hours on it and im hopeful there's something i can unblock and fix it. I did check, and the driveline is still spinning when its in gear. Edit: there's a button by the neutral unlock lever and two choke like pull handles on the dash. What are those?
pictures help get better answers
https://en.av-gk.ru/catalog/komatsu/d31a-17c/060030/ Is this one the screen you pulled out ? should not need replacing unless its damaged , good idea to replace O rings . There does not appear to be a test port on the pump but guessing its in the line where its easy to get at
Yes that screen.
Welp. There’s chunks of clutch material in the pan. It’s not a ton of it though. This is most of what was in there. I assume this is not normal.
thats your problem . Cheap enough so long as nothing else is damaged , fella here had a job on a D65-6 just like your's and the plates were about $ 250 .
Im worried that Komatsu is going to rape me going and coming with this. I obviously need clutch packs. Also ill need a seal and O-ring kit for the trans. All the cylinders need packing and the bushings are shot. and i need a water pump. Can anyone recommend somewhere online that may have some of this? Or am i just trying to be too cheap? I theres anything else obvious i should change while im in there please point it out. Like that strainer. almost forgot.
Unless the screen is damaged just wash it in kerosene . Nothing you have listed is overly expensive .
Regards to the clutch linings you may be able to get new linings made and bond them onto the old plates. I know of businesses here in Australia that do that stuff so you may also have someone nearby that can.
Found this. Don't know the seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-KO...703785?hash=item3ceb2e15e9:g:4FoAAOxyzGlQ6Fea
Does anyone know where the serial number is on this machine. I’ve looked and looked and can’t find it. I hadn’t thought about getting new clutch material bonded on that may be the best route. Komatsu said it’ll be December before I can get the kit. But I need the serial number to order and I can’t find it. It’s $1100 which is fine with me.
Is there another place or can someone tell me exactly where it is supposed to be so I can figure out it’s gone or I’m just not seeing it.
Bump.
Try behind the seat . I had to go back to past owners for one of mine .
There is a guy in NY and he knows these d20,d21 and D31 im pretty sure he will have the clutch plates you need, as far as the cyclinders just take them apart and leave the seals in the head and take it to a hydraulic hose shop ect and they should have the seals there their pretty much OEM stuff, for each side maybe $20 i doubt you need the packing that hardly ever wears out unless something odd happend, and if the drive shaft is spinning and its in gear and your going know where its 100% clutch related, have you checked your steering that will be the next thing after you replace clutch